Powder fun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Powder fun

These are better in the deep stuff than I had thought.
    11 800 Pro
    02 550 sport touring
    04 Sabercat

They don't have all the weight and the huge belly pan to overcome that snowmobiles do. I'm tempted to go snatch up a cheap sled, but I really need to commit to a Timbersled. I really want to build a CR500 for it though.
    Trevor

Fully addicted moto-junkie

Comment

Originally posted by Petrolburner View Post
      They don't have all the weight and the huge belly pan to overcome that snowmobiles do. I'm tempted to go snatch up a cheap sled, but I really need to commit to a Timbersled. I really want to build a CR500 for it though.
      that looks really fun! Can you ride them standing up? seems like everyone sits?

They weigh almost as much as a sled don't they? once you add the track and all that to a 250 pound bike?

I want to try one.
      Last edited by KTMDirtFace; 12-15-15, 09:04 PM.

Comment

I always wonder how a 2 stroke on a snowbike would do. A sled has 2 cylinders and a cvt clutch which makes it easy to keep it in the powerband. With a bike and having to shift it seems the four stroke might work better. Plus kicking over a 500 all day long makes for one sore leg

Comment

Originally posted by KTMDirtFace View Post
          that looks really fun! Can you ride them standing up? seems like everyone sits?

They weigh almost as much as a sled don't they? once you add the track and all that to a 250 pound bike?

I want to try one.
          Not even close. The ski weighs about the same as the front wheel I'd guess. The track adds some pounds but still you're talking 320-350 vs closer to 500. One major advantage is the ease in side hilling. You don't have to hang way off trying to keep the uphill ski stuck into the snow. They're both fun, but different kinds of fun.
          Trevor

Comment

Looked at the snowbike while in Bend for the Sledfilm... 17 grand!! YIKES! My boyfriend who has a 2015 Polaris RMK Pro 800 - grew up on a dirtbike, and loves the idea of the timbersled, but man they are expensive. Seems very enticing when you are trying to dig-out the heavy beasts... I'm thinking the bikes would be so much easier to avoid "getting stuck?"

Comment

17 grand? Maybe if you bought a 10k dirtbike and the Timbersled kit plus TSS for 7k. The Timbersled kit is 6 thousand and an appropriate dirtbike can be 2-5k. On the low end, with a used kit and a used bike, 7-8k is easy. What does 7-8k buy you in the used snowmobile market?
              Trevor

Comment

I just saw on snowest a guy bought a brand new 2016 Ski Doo Summit 800 Etech for $8900

I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled for a deal on a snowbike kit this spring. Run it on my 500 for the time being. Until i find a used bike I can dedicate to it.

Comment

There's no doubt snowmobiles can be had for much less. You can buy my Mountain Cat for less than $2000! Snowmobiles can't get through the trees or sidehill like a snowbike though. One does not replace the other.
                  Trevor

Comment

How about a jetski in the snow?

Comment

Working...
                    X