HELP!! on 1997 Skidoo summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! on 1997 Skidoo summit

I have a 1997 skidoo summit. I am totally new to snowmobiles so any help is appriciated. Sled fires up and seems to idle fine but when I rev it up to around 3000 rpms it bogs down. Primary clutch is spinning but doesnt seem to engage. With the engine off i can rotate the secondary clutch by hand and track spins fine. A couple times I was able to get it to go but cant now.

First I'd say go and download a manual for your sled, they run maybe 15 bucks and are super important to have, just google owners manual 1997 Skidoo Summit and you should get several hits.

Second go check out Dootalk(dot)com as they are pretty much the go to place for all things Skidoo.

Third what does your sled actually do right when you fire it up? you should get 2 short beeps and 10-9 flashing on your dash somewhere within a second or two after you start your sled, that means you have the correct DESS key for your sled and it is seated properly, Frequently all you need to do is remove your DESS key clean the inside and reset it. The DESS is the little pluggy thing that you pop on your sled before you start it and stands for Digitally Encoded Security System. If you don't get 2 short beeps and 10-9 you need to pay attention to how many beeps, whether they are short or long, how many there are and how often they repeat (ie every few seconds? every 5 min? every 15 min while your sled sits at idle), and what fault codes may flash on your dash, these codes only flash for a couple of seconds so bring a piece of paper and write down what beeps, and what codes you get, this tells us what may be happening with your sled.

bring back that info and we can try to help but really, Dootalk is your friend.

Comment

I'd put money on your dess key not making a very good connection. Next time you mess with it wiggle the dess key around. Doo's are really good at this.

Comment

I don't think Doo's in that year had the DESS. I think they had a regular key. Our 2000 had a regular key. I think he needs to clean his carbs or has a crack in the fuel line that allows air in causing the bog. good luck.
        craterlandscape.com

Comment

Working...
        X