Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FNG
    replied
    If I were bothering to pull the drive axel (drives your track) and the Counter shaft (has the driven or secondary clutch on it) while trying to get rid of a grinding or bearing sound I would replace the bearings on each end of each shaft. The counter shaft bearings would be (clutch side) 504152008, the Chain case side parts would be Bearing 504152006, seal 504151927. The drive axel parts would be clutch side bearing 293350060, oil seal 504151918, bearing protector 501017400. the Chain case side of the drive axel parts would be oil seal 504151918, bearing 504152005. Go to the link above suggested by BC Dan and look at the Drive axel and track, the Driven Pulley, and the Chain case pages to confirm the parts numbers. As mentioned above once you have pulled the bearings and seals you can bring them to any local bearing supply house and get (most) of them for much cheaper than OEM as they are common industrial sizes but a couple of them are oddballs, the seals should probable come from Doo. That said, the Drive axel should have a Zirk fitting on in on it on the clutch side so if you have a greese gun you can spluge some fresh grease in there and if the sound gets better then you can cross your fingers and hope your saved things before terminal failure. you should still replace at least that one bearing if the sound improves, I am in favor of replacing them all if one is going bad and you are yanking the shafts anyway.

Leave a comment:

• graham2418
    replied
    if anyone else has any other info on the subject id love to learn more.

Leave a comment:

• graham2418
    replied
    okay I will look and see what I can see. When I order the bearings is there anything else I need to order with them?
    Last edited by graham2418; 10-21-14, 08:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

• BCDan
    replied
    http://www.skidooparts.com/oemparts/...axle-and-track

This is a site that you can view drawings of all the parts of the sled. It may be helpful in seeing what you need. There should be one bearing on each end of the driveshaft and one bearing on each end of the jackshaft. Take the old bearings to a place that specializes in bearings and they should be able to match the bearing for a lot less than OEM. I would avoid going too cheap, though; changing those out can be pretty time consuming. You won't want to do it very often.

You may be able to pull the parts that run the speedometer and see the bearing. I'm not familiar with Skidoo, but on Polaris and Cats, when the bearing starts going, you may see the seal blown with grease everywhere or an obvious problem with the bearing when looking at it. The bearing that fails the most is the PTO side driveline bearing; the jackshaft bearing doesn't fail as often, as it's not blasted with snow from the track.

Hopefully, one of the skidoo guys can weigh in and give you better advice!

Leave a comment:

• graham2418
    replied
    Also is there anywhere i can get complete bearing kits for cheap, the OEM parts places are very spendy. thanks for the help

Leave a comment:

• graham2418
    replied
    Okay, is there anyways to tell for sure which one it is? Can i just wiggle the secondary clutch around and tell if the bearing is bad? and is there any other way to tell if the driveshaft is bad other than the speedo? And if i do order bearings should i just order them for the jackshaft and driveshaft? Also how many bearings is there on each shaft? from what i could tell there is two major bearings on each side of each shaft. just wanted to be sure, im not around the snowmachine but a friend is going to look it over for me and i just wanted to get all the bearings ordered and kind of give him a better idea of what to look for.

Leave a comment:

• BCDan
    replied
    I'd be thinking both jackshaft and driveshaft bearings on the PTO side. The speedometer failing is a late indicator of bearing failure on sleds that have the speedometer gear driven by the driveshaft. The bearing can be bad and still be the normal height; when the bearing fails catastrophically, the driveline drops (because the bearing is no longer able to hold it up) and the speedometer key in the end of the driveshaft is sheared.

I would replace both bearings (and probably do the other side while it's apart) just because. That way you will know those aren't a problem.

Welcome to the forum!

Leave a comment:

• graham2418
    started a topic 2002 ski doo summit 500f bearing grinding

2002 ski doo summit 500f bearing grinding

Hello I have a 2002 summit 500 fan cooled ski-doo, I got it for free from a friend and after riding it around for a bit I noticed a kind of grinding sound in the front under the cowling on the left side, I have looked at both the jackshaft and driveshaft bearings on the SPEEDO side and their is no evidence of greese coming out of bearing and the speedo works. it only happens when im going at slow speeds, when I take off it go's away until I slow down again. It does not make the grinding sound when I lift the track off the ground and give it gas, only under a load and the track on the ground will it make this sound. And im not sure if it matters but the speedo still works on the sled and their is nothing rubbing in the tunnel, so I figured it must be the clutch, secondary, or jackshaft. the only other issue is the break disk is very loose it seems to me and the sound somewhat go's away when holding the break while moving but not totally. Any help to narrow this down would be great, thanx
    Last edited by graham2418; 10-21-14, 12:20 PM.
Working...
X