Clutch question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Clutch question

I am looking to get info on the primary and secondary clutch for settings and what the settings do for the sled. Would like to know bout the weights in the primary what they change. Also would like to know about the secondary clutch spring. Lastly would like to know what y'all suggest for a preseason maintenance on the clutches. Any help would be helpful

Not to pass the buck, but purchase a copy of Olaf Aaen's "Clutch Tuning Handbook." Read it about 9 times, and maybe you will understand how clutching works. I must be on 7, because it still is a bit fuzzy for me It's a great resource to help understand how the primary and secondary work together.

http://www.aaenperformance.com/Handbooks.asp

Comment

if you can afford it buy a team secondary! very awesome clutch. plus its easy to take apart and clean!

Comment

First, if you don't have one, buy a manual for your sled, there are many sources on line and you can have it downloaded in 15 min for the cost of 2 pints of beer at any brew pub in Bend.

Agree with BC, if you "really" want to start learning about clutching go buy Olaf's book, if on the other hand you want to cruz the internet and learn some basics and probably enough to get by go check out the "clutching IQ: section over at Dynamo Joes site (ibackshift.com). Here is a link to a U-Tube vid of a basic service on a Skidoo TRA2 clutch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92C7CZuHe2I hope this helps. He has several videos, they are all worth watching.

What year and model sled do you have and what clutch is in there (primary and secondary) as the particular clutch makes a huge difference in answers as does where you intend ride and how you ride, ie, are you a flat lander looking to rail trails and lake beds, are you setting up a sled to drag race, or are you looking to optimize your sled for mountain riding (and at what altitude?). Is you clutching doing anything now that you don't like? or making strange noises or tearing up belts or getting really hot after a sort ride, or did you just buy a used sled and want to prep it for the season.

Good luck with your maintenance, get back to us with pictures if you need more help. Clutching is either a bit of a black art or, a lot of physics, take your pic, I'm about 6 steps behind BC on understanding it.

A basic Skidoo (older) primary service would be to pull the sliding half off the fixed half, this can be done on the sled or you can pull the whole thing your choice. You will need to either buy a clutch pulling tool or just google removing TRA clutch using water method. The water method is cool and it works like a charm without special tools once you get it figured out. So, pull off the sliding half, pull off your govenor cup (careful not to crack it) and find out what spring and ramps you have in there. Spray everything with brake cleaner and you will probably need more than one can. The springs are color coded with 2 dots of paint and the ramps have the ramp profile number stamped on them. Take pictures of everything as you take it apart and have a note pad ready and waiting before you start and WRITE DOWN WHAT YO HAVE IN THERE !!! also, take a picture of it as this will be imensley helpful if after just a simple cleaning you actually want to do something to your clutching to make it better for your riding style or location. If you have an older Doo with an unknown service or use history just take apart the primary, give it a good cleaning, replace the sliding buttons and their springs and o-rings, and replace the primary spring that is in there with a new one of the same spring rate (remember the 2 dots of color). The springs get old and now you actually have a good starting point to see if you primary is working well or was just old and dirty. If you are going to pull the primary apart it's probably worth buying 3 of those button retainer holder thingies that you see on Joeys vidio but it's not exactly necessary, just convenient and they are cheap.

Comment

Thanks Will do ill be going through it very soon my sled is an 03 summit want to change the set up for boon docking and powder play is working fine just want to go through it clean it and make sure its adjusting for best performance will take lots of pics and post them when i get it done

Comment

If you get stuck or just want to talk about you clutch options feel free to give me a call. We do complete service and Dynamic Balancing. Good luck. The books are a good way to get some good info. However as stated read them several times.

Comment

Working...
            X