X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1990 Polaris Indy classic 500 suspension

What suspension does this have? The seller/mechanic says xtra10

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If it's stock, it's not an xtra-10. The xtra-10 came out about 1996. 1990 is also too early for the XC-100 suspension, which was also pretty popular back then. I had a 1990 Indy 650, it had an XX suspension, but that will be different than the Classic, I'm pretty sure.

Comment

Originally posted by BCDan View Post
      If it's stock, it's not an xtra-10. The xtra-10 came out about 1996. 1990 is also too early for the XC-100 suspension, which was also pretty popular back then. I had a 1990 Indy 650, it had an XX suspension, but that will be different than the Classic, I'm pretty sure.
      Is there any chance it has just a 10" suspension

Comment

I think the Xtra-10 was the first year of 10" of travel. 10" suspension travel was a big deal at that time. Earlier suspensions had 6" to 7 1/2" (or 8") of travel, that's why so many guys have swapped out the old stuff and installed an Xtra-10. Polaris used the Xtra-12 suspension during that time, as well. The Xtra-12 is a falling rate suspension, which is great for groomed trails, but not so good for off-trail or ditch banging. The Xtra-10 has less travel but is a rising rate suspension and is able to take the bumps a lot better without bottoming.
        Last edited by BCDan; 08-26-14, 04:30 PM.

Comment

I've been told that there was a special order option for a 10" for that model/year

Comment

My book shows the 1990-1992 Classic 500 has the XX rear suspension. Likely in the 6" range of travel if I had to guess. Even with upgraded gas pressure shocks there isn't a lot of travel to work with.

Comment

1990 had the dial-adjust rear suspension, which basically replaced the wrench adjustment feature with a single adjustment knob. Suspension travel was same as previous years.

Comment

Working...
              X