2000 AC ZR 700 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2000 AC ZR 700 problems

I have a 2000 AC ZR 700 that has been modded to a long track mountain sled. Last season I replaced the gear box, one cylinder, one a-arm, skis, new clutch, and various smaller parts. Finally it ran good. Prepped it for summer, stored it. Brought it out a few weeks ago, prepped it, fired it up and took it for a quick spin (less than mile). 2 major issues. Terrible backfiring (to the point of dying) and the clutch doesn't disengage.

I changed the plugs, same thing. Thought I'd fixed the belt/clutch sticking problem, until I ran it into the shop to check it out and almost drove through the back wall.

Ideas?

AC had their primary clutch problems, this is what you put on new? Make sure belt width adjustment is set wide enough for the proper belt. Belt sag at least 1 1/2 inches.
    Storage caused backfiring..This batteryless EFI uses a fancy pump and pick-up in the tank..needs to be clean, injecters can be removed and cleaned, Wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner works for water caused corrosion but don't let her find injectors in there
    You have already checked what you did ..seals, reeds, gaskets, compression?
    Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
    and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

One thing that I am finding when I talk to people, is that with the oxygenated fuel causing stabil to gel some clogging carbs. I had a skidoo that I just bought. drained the tank and found all of this jello like red fuel. Just thin enough to go through the filter but definitely separated out. changed fuel filter and cleaned the carbs and it ran perfect.
      craterlandscape.com

Comment

Glad you got that new one running! AV gas without anything added stores well. Use it! You are right, that gel would plug the pick-ups in the tank and the injector screen. I have had a lot of bad fuel pumps come through the shop just because ethanol attacks certain seals. Nasty stuff!

Comment

Thanks

Thanks, I will check that out.

Ethanol gas: I think our pumps went to that stuff last February or March (08)?? I didn't know about it/ pay attention until this summer, and we still have a few pumps that offer non-ethanol premium for "certain applications" i.e. 2-strokes, farm equip etc... I'm sure I stored the machine (with stabil) with ethanol fuel (in April). Bummer.

I have not checked all the work done last year (I didn't personally do it, mechanic did). I have only checked the basics so far: Plugs, boots, filters, compression (90lbs +/- both sides), air box, oil. I'm still hoping its basic enough for me to find/fix and SELL.

I appreciate all the perspectives you guys provide, thanks a bunch!

Snowing hard and no work!! Wahooo! Hard to stay in the shop!

Comment

clutch

Originally posted by Movin View Post
            AC had their primary clutch problems, this is what you put on new? Make sure belt width adjustment is set wide enough for the proper belt. Belt sag at least 1 1/2 inches.
            I believe so. I bought the sled as-is, modded. The mechanic said that the "wrong" clutch for the track extension was installed, and incorrectly (I was burning up belts every 10 miles...$$$) He replaced with original??? and the belt problem was resolved (well... better).

The belt is remaining taunt (engaged) at low rpm/idle. I have to suspend the rear end and throttle it in place to disengage. The belt is new (last ride, last season).

Comment

If it will idle ok after you lift the sled, blip it and set it back down , the backshift pressure on the secondary may be a little light. That is the wind-up pressure to the spring. Also the belt should have at least 1 1/2 inches sag..lift up then push down on it between pulleys, measure travel. Move engine closer to secondary. If Mechanic did not have gauges make sure they are parallel to each other and that side to side alignment is correct..the belt should be in the center with no pressure to either side of the front pulley.

Comment

Working...
              X