Chaincase oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaincase oil

What does everyone run for chaincase oil? I am thinking about just running some SEA 30 weight. Seeing as cars with timing chains have been using it for years. I'm tired of buying stuff that costs $5 for a few ounces.
    07 Polaris Dragon RMK 155"
    SLP Pipe/Can, 09 front end

RE: Chaincase oil

Originally posted by cbrew325
    What does everyone run for chaincase oil? I am thinking about just running some SEA 30 weight. Seeing as cars with timing chains have been using it for years. I'm tired of buying stuff that costs $5 for a few ounces.
    I have used dex II and now DexIII with about 1/4 power punch for years, no problems. 5 weight Dexton has less rolling resistance and works well in 4x4 transfercases and front drive transmissions that also have chains and much higher stress load.
    Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
    and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

I have been running gear oil without any trouble.
      02 RMK 800 159
      03 RMK 700 144

Comment

I may be a bit bias....however there is a lot of money in the chain case to bet on a witches brew. I use Amsoil Series 2000 synthetic chain case oil. For the few bucks ($6.25) a bottle it's cheep insurance.

You can read about it at http://www.onlinesynthetics.com Look under Chain and Gear Oils in the Online Store area.

Comment

atf in your chaincase will work fine. have been running it in many sleds for many years, never a failure. if you're running a diamond drive, 10w hydralic oil is what your paying ac more than a dollar an ounce for. its about $8 a gallon, have 3,000 miles on my M8 using it. most chaincase problems i have seen come from water/moisture getting in the lube and freezing. if it starts to look a little milky its time for a change.

Comment

RED LINE full synthetic lightweight shock proof gear oil. The lubrication properties are so good that even with no oil left in the chaincase you can make it back in from a 20 mile ride with no significant wear. What kind dope spends $10K on a sled and then pinches pennies on gear oil. Better lubrication = less resistance=more horsepower to the track= lower long term maint costs=getting to the top before the guy who is running 90wgt. moleasses in his chain case!
            Lead Follow or get the ---- out of the way!
            When in doubt Pin it !

Comment

GM just delisted dexIII and now has synthetic dex VI. I don't know if it climbs and clings with out an additive or not. I sell the red-line where synthetic is desired, I use it in my Quad. The snowmobile seems to get moisture so I change it more often, it has never shown any sign of wear, is still orginal parts, so it gets dex. If I buy a new sled I would switch greases and oils to synthetic. The problems I have seen are not quality of oil related, they are lack of maintenance or wreck! Or stress..airborn turbos! You are dead on target for minimizing HP losses on the way to the track blubyou!

Comment

Originally posted by blubyou
                RED LINE full synthetic lightweight shock proof gear oil. The lubrication properties are so good that even with no oil left in the chaincase you can make it back in from a 20 mile ride with no significant wear. What kind dope spends $10K on a sled and then pinches pennies on gear oil. Better lubrication = less resistance=more horsepower to the track= lower long term maint costs=getting to the top before the guy who is running 90wgt. moleasses in his chain case!
                I always run synthetic in everything. You can smell my sled - I think my 2 stroke oil has a vanilla scent added.

Ben

Comment

I'm currently testing full synthetic amsoil for my oil injection, it does not smell like anything. I am noticing that because it is thinner I am using more of it. My plugs look great though and the power seems great to at 8000 RPM wide open.
                  Lead Follow or get the ---- out of the way!
                  When in doubt Pin it !

Comment

I went to premix on the one I tinker with all the time. While they are making all this high tone oil lets see regular fuel turn into 110 octane at 100 to one!!

Comment

As for the 100% Synthetic injector oils...Amsoil Interceptor is designed for 2 stroke motors with power valves and the HP Injector oil is made for units that do not run power valves. The big change is the 50:1 injection ratio. Most sleds are pre set to 40:1. They tend to smoke more unless you turn down the oil pump to 50:1. I run the Amsoil Interceptor in my 07 Polaris and it has worked well.

Sorry... this is moving off the chain case oil thread. My oil tank is just above my chain case so it's still close.

Comment

Some buddies went to 100 to one with intercepter to richen the mixture..it worked for them but my opinion is there is no margin for error!!
                        It worked for one trip to top off the chain case! That was the back up sled.

Comment

Originally posted by Movin
                          Some buddies went to 100 to one with intercepter to richen the mixture..it worked for them but my opinion is there is no margin for error!!
                          It worked for one trip to top off the chain case! That was the back up sled.
                          100 to 1 would not richen the mix. That would lean out the mix. 50 to 1 mix is good. Going to 40to1 would be a richen mix compared to 50to1 or a 100to1 for that matter. JMHO
                          Wes Adams
                          Mr.Triple
                          Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
                          2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
                          2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
                          2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
                          2001 Polaris 500 SP
                          ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Comment