What sled to buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What sled to buy

Ok so Im going to buy a newer sled here soon and just wondering what everyone thinks. Looking for a 700-800, 144-151. Whats good out there these days, Ive been out of the loop for the past few years
    92\' F250, Pioneer Sound system, Ramesy 8000lbs winch
    New Sled on the way

RE: What sled to buy

Hi Mt_Man

I have been waiting to see who jumps in here and what they have to say. Sometimes talking about sled brands is almost like discussing religion. When you say "newer" are you talking something that last year or two?

There was an article in the fall issue of Snowest comparing the 2008 800 class sleds. If you are interested, PM me your address and I will mail it to you.

Others - Any thoughts?

Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Mt_Man
      Ok so Im going to buy a newer sled here soon and just wondering what everyone thinks. Looking for a 700-800, 144-151. Whats good out there these days, Ive been out of the loop for the past few years
      "newer but not new"?? Dragon 700 is sweet, tunes in well. M7 is also awesome, some clutching and a can.. The REV is good, needs lightened up and dialed in.
      Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
      and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

Originally posted by Movin
        Originally posted by Mt_Man
        "newer but not new"?? Dragon 700 is sweet, tunes in well. M7 is also awesome, some clutching and a can.. The REV is good, needs lightened up and dialed in.
        Except for the NEW 2008 REV XP Summit X 154's. Those are the lightest sled out. But its not that old LOL. 429lbs Dry! I got to ride one and all I can say is WOW! There are a few for sale in the treader.
        Wes Adams
        Mr.Triple
        Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
        2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
        2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
        2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
        2001 Polaris 500 SP
        ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Comment

What sled to buy

The E-TECH motor is the ****, the gas mileage is incredible the oil consumption is minimal I don't understand why people would buy any other brand. You can make a sled payment with what you save in gas and oil. And the power is incredible and handles great. I filled up my sled with oil before we went on our trip put on 160miles And was still half full when we got done. While my riding partners were looking all over for A.P.V oil which could not be found had to use ski-doo oil then there is the gas mileage we all filled up at the same time, when they were on empty I still had less then half a tank man do they get bent when you bring up the E-TECH but they are all very impressed with the ski-doo and would buy one if they weren't $11000.00 Just don't get it why buy another brand?

Comment

Originally posted by ETEC800R View Post
            The E-TECH motor is the ****, the gas mileage is incredible the oil consumption is minimal I don't understand why people would buy any other brand. You can make a sled payment with what you save in gas and oil. And the power is incredible and handles great. I filled up my sled with oil before we went on our trip put on 160miles And was still half full when we got done. While my riding partners were looking all over for A.P.V oil which could not be found had to use ski-doo oil then there is the gas mileage we all filled up at the same time, when they were on empty I still had less then half a tank man do they get bent when you bring up the E-TECH but they are all very impressed with the ski-doo and would buy one if they weren't $11000.00 Just don't get it why buy another brand?
            some people just like to buy American!
            The e tech is a great engine but when you think about the price difference you can buy a lot of fuel for the difference. Where we ride I don't care what engine you have in your sled you are burning near a tank of fuel and only going 40-50 miles. so what if the etech saved me a gallon or two with the difference in price I can buy a lot of gallons even with the price of fuel rising.
            Back to the original question asked. A Arctic Cat M-8 from 05-10 has the most reliable engine ever made. There are plenty available.
            You never did say how much you were looking to spend, that is the most influencing factor.
            craterlandscape.com

Comment

All three major brands have a good product. I would base my decision on local dealer support and also look at what your friends ride. It's great to have buddies that ride the same brand, you can pick their brain when things go wrong and also borrow their tools.

Like sildoc said, it's also dependent on how much you want to spend.

Comment

What sled to buy

And you can use their oil when you run out just sayin and the last time I looked poos and cats are about the same price. When buying a sled get the best engine available that's the most important component the E-TECH is hands down the best on the market. If I bought what all my buddies have I would be lookin for oil as well and spending way more at the pump that don't make any since. I have owned every brand except Yamaha and as far as expense power and handling will I think I made a good choice!

Comment

I started on a 02 Polaris 800. Really fun and I abused it. It was cheap and then it blew up. Now I ride an 06 summit x 800. Just dialed in the suspension so I can move it around a lot easier now. Lots of power and so far so reliable. Those piٌata sleds are fun to. Gabby ridden an AC but the se to never break down. I think they are all fun.

Comment

Originally posted by BCDan View Post
                    All three major brands have a good product. I would base my decision on local dealer support and also look at what your friends ride. It's great to have buddies that ride the same brand, you can pick their brain when things go wrong and also borrow their tools.

Like sildoc said, it's also dependent on how much you want to spend.
                    No one rides what I ride! LOL But thats ok. My Yammi is very reliable and has never faltered on me. I'm also the only guy in the crowed to ride triples... My next newer sled will have a triple in it.... Lets just say, it will be a 1,000+++ CC here soon! Old School Baby! I said too much already.
                    Wes Adams
                    Mr.Triple
                    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
                    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Comment

Originally posted by Ford428CJ View Post
                      No one rides what I ride! LOL But thats ok. My Yammi is very reliable and has never faltered on me. I'm also the only guy in the crowed to ride triples... My next newer sled will have a triple in it.... Lets just say, it will be a 1,000+++ CC here soon! Old School Baby! I said too much already.
                      Yeah yeah yeah, all talk and no pictures...get to work already! global warming will have killed the snow for good by the time you get this mod sled together. My triple ran great today.
                      Trevor

Fully addicted moto-junkie

Comment

So..... As I read through the older post here I see a lot of claims- BUT- I firmly believe and they have a long track record to prove it- that YAMAHA by far has had the Best motors available since sleds were built, talk about saving on oil! Their the only manufacture that has stopped putting 2smokes in their sleds and their using their street bike proven 100k+ milemotors in their sleds.

What you save in mileage, 2 stroke oil cost, repair cost and next to no extra cost I believe that Yamaha's (ON PAPER) are the only sled that anyone would buy..... Even their older twins and triples 2strokes there was never a question of reliability.

They just don't seem to have the dealer support and a nasty reputation of being heavy- I've owned several and currently have two 4stroke Yami's- are they heavy? Yes- but if I'm moving more than 5miles an hour or anyone that's riding them you can't even begin to feel how heavy the sleds are- you just can't jump on a 1000cc 4stroke Apex with a 162" track and compare it to a light weight M sled or RMK- they are in the same class but two different tools for different purposes

Also this weekend I jumped on a new 800 E-tech...... Was NOT a fan, and that's putting it nicely. I found a lack of throttle response, a lack of pull/seat of the pants feel and every time I laid it over the pivot point of the ski made it want to recenter it's self which is not what I wanted the sled to do- I want complete control over my sled, not it deciding what it wants-and that was in great snow on top of a butte. For me the new sleds all keep telling me I made the right choice with what I ride, I love the Yami's but I'm a Polaris guy now
                        Polaris Pro 162" boosted
                        Polaris Pro 155"
                        OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Comment

Originally posted by Petrolburner View Post
                          Yeah yeah yeah, all talk and no pictures...get to work already! global warming will have killed the snow for good by the time you get this mod sled together. My triple ran great today.
                          Not talking about the one I'm building.... More like one thats up and running.... LOL
                          Wes Adams
                          Mr.Triple
                          2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
                          2001 Polaris 500 SP

Comment

Zookiracer thought you were selling both your 4ts to getting a new 800 2t?

A 1000cc 4t is not enough power, Heck a strong running mod 800 2t isn't even power for mtn riding IMO.

The m8s are reliable and sidehill well but the ergos of that chassis to do not fit me personally. With fit aside I like sleds more are more "rider forward". The m8s are pretty docile seats of your pants also, even with full exhaust and clutching. And FYI the m8 didn't come out untill 07'.

I don't think pushing the brand you ride onto someone else will do any good. I've owned ski doo, AC and Polaris, they all have strong points, you need to decide for yourself which you like the best.
                            Last edited by twostroke; 03-05-12, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by twostroke View Post
                              And FYI the m8 didn't come out untill 07'.
                              Ok M7 M8 same sled with a few more cc's added. No change though other than a bigger bore.
                              craterlandscape.com

Comment

Working...
                              X