Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Talk

OK

How do we want to start using this Nav forum? What kind of topics can we discuss? Are people willing to share data?

Let's start by posting info on the GPS unit you use, what you like/don't like about it, any questions, etc.

I have a Garmin eTrex Vista. I like the form factor, but it does not get the best reception. I am thinking about upgrading to a rino. I really just carry the GPS for emergency use, but would like to hear how others use theirs for navigation, etc.

I also have a Garmin Edge 305 for my mountain bike. It is a pretty cool little unit that mounts on the bars. It holds all kinds of data that can be uploaded into a program that performs some analysis of the trip. It also has a heart rate monitor that syncs with the trip data. I have thought it would be cool to take it sledding and see how my heart rate goes up and down based on altitude gain/loss. I have been looking for a good place to mount it.

What kind of post-trip data can you get from a Rhino? More than just routes and such? Does it save altimeter data?

Have you seen the new Garmin Colorado?

Ben

RE: GPS Talk

Hello,

I have a Rino 530 and it works very well. It is loaded with the MapSource topo software and I have mapped all the trails in our riding area as they correspond to the trail map. It is a breeze to find your location.

Our Trail Groomers carry the Rino 530HCx also and have cell phone and emergency radio access to Search and Rescue. We all monitor channel 15 GMRS for emergencies.

The 530HCx model is a much better unit than the 530. Has upgradeable memory and connects to the ski in minutes even in bad conditions. The 5 watt radio and the ability to locate other Rino users works great when you get separated.

Comment

I have a Garmin Vista Cx

I have been very happy with the unit. I bought it primarily to record where I had been, to give myself a better feel for proximity. I haven't had any occasion yet to use it for any real navigation, so dont know how realistic this would be.

I use the Mapsource topo to organize and edit my tracks. I particularily like the ease I can look at my track in Google Earth using this software.

I have interest in compiling .gpx files of all the trail systems throughout the state. I would feel better exploring a new area with the basics of the trail system preloaded.

Roger
      02 RMK 800 159
      03 RMK 700 144

Comment

I am also curious about dylnn's post about groomers monitoring gmrs channel 15. Is this a statewide idea, or just their club? I think this is a good idea, and could be very useful.

Thanks, Roger
        02 RMK 800 159
        03 RMK 700 144

Comment

i have a rino 530 as well... i love it... i am still learning everything about it since i just got it not too long ago. but being able to see where everyone in my club is, is pretty amazing...

although the one thing that I need is a handle bar mount for it. anyone know where to get one. i ride a 2006 polaris 600HO.
          Take me to where the white stuff is!!!!

YOU MUCH ALWAYS PUSH THE LIMITS, BECAUSE IF YOU NEVER FAIL YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rad
            i have a rino 530 as well... i love it... i am still learning everything about it since i just got it not too long ago. but being able to see where everyone in my club is, is pretty amazing...

although the one thing that I need is a handle bar mount for it. anyone know where to get one. i ride a 2006 polaris 600HO.
            A bar mount is my issue as well - no place to really mount it.

Ben

Comment

Our Groomer "Moon Country" monitors GMRS 15 along with the Sisters Groomer. This is just what they are doing. This is not an organized situation as I know it.

As for the dash mount for the Rino 530 mine fits to the left of the center gauge (where the tach was mounted on the older sleds) This works well however it is hard to read when moving. I will look to see if I can find the model number of the bracket I use. It has two bolts that bolt directly to the plastic on the dash with a small amount of rubber hose for shock and flex.

Comment

Rino 530 mounts

http://www.gpscity.ca/gps-mount/garmin/rino-530

http://www.ram-mount.com/gps_mounts/model_garmin_gps_mount.htm

Comment

that is a pretty helpful site thank you!!!. some of the guys i ride with have fabbed up a strictly sled mount ... i think they are going to try and produce them and sell them... i will find out this weekend...
                  Take me to where the white stuff is!!!!

YOU MUCH ALWAYS PUSH THE LIMITS, BECAUSE IF YOU NEVER FAIL YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED

Comment

I have a GPSmap 60CSx and a Rino 530HCx. GPS-wise, they are basically the same unit. The Rino obviously has the built in FRS/GMRS radio. I am very happy with both. I have the 2008 topo as well as the 2008 City Navigator data. Both are awesome.

What are people's thoughts on the range of the Rino's 5-watt radio? Seems like the advertised 14-mile range is if you're in outer space or something. I get maybe a mile in a typical terrain.

Comment

I agree Vince....I am sure they base the 14 mile range on line of site. I still carry the old cell phone as the main emergency stand-by.
                      However when it comes to finding the location of people in your group you still cant beat the RINO.

Comment

Originally posted by dlynn
                        I agree Vince....I am sure they base the 14 mile range on line of site. I still carry the old cell phone as the main emergency stand-by.
                        However when it comes to finding the location of people in your group you still cant beat the RINO.
                        Has anyone done any tests to estimate the practical range?

Ben

Comment

Hi Ben,

Sounds like you and I need to go for a ride and test these RINO's for the 14 mile distance. This is very important and could require some time off work. LOL

Comment

I just bought a 60CSX GPS and love it. Its easy to use! I also have Map-Tech Topo for Oregon and DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2008. I also bought a 2GB Micro SD card for my GPS as well. I'm new to GPS world and have to get some time on it (Snowmobile time that is LOL). I'll keep ya posted, if you like???
                            Wes Adams
                            Mr.Triple
                            Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
                            2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
                            2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
                            2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
                            2001 Polaris 500 SP
                            ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Comment

Originally posted by Ford428CJ
                              I just bought a 60CSX GPS and love it. Its easy to use! I also have Map-Tech Topo for Oregon and DeLorme Street Atlas USA 2008. I also bought a 2GB Micro SD card for my GPS as well. I'm new to GPS world and have to get some time on it (Snowmobile time that is LOL). I'll keep ya posted, if you like???
                              For sure, let us know how it goes and what you find out.

Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X