Your Favorite Ride

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your Favorite Ride

What is your favorite trail to ride and why? There has been some chatter on the introduce yourself thread about favorite riding areas which made me think about where my favorite trail is. For those who don't live in your area, try and give us a good idea where the trail is...

I will have to wait until I get home and look at my maps to share my favorite trails because I don't remember the name for sure.
    When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.

Kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers.

RE: Your Favorite Ride

Originally posted by Snowlover
    What is your favorite trail to ride and why? There has been some chatter on the introduce yourself thread about favorite riding areas which made me think about where my favorite trail is. For those who don't live in your area, try and give us a good idea where the trail is...

I will have to wait until I get home and look at my maps to share my favorite trails because I don't remember the name for sure.
    Funny, I was just thinking about posting this question as well. However, I would like to change it to "your favorite ride" in general, some people don't ride trails. You don't need to share any secret spots, just your favorite ride.

Let's be specific so others can possibly try another area or something they haven't ridden before. Where do you start? Where do you end? What do you do in between? What makes it a great ride? What do you need to know? How long does it take? Other things to know.....

Ben

Comment

My favorite trail ride starts at Hamaker sno-park (also called the Claude Lewis Trailhead). Ladies, there are bathrooms at this sno-park which is another advantage. This is located at about mile marker 12 of Highway 230 which is close to Diamond Lake. This is a loop ride so you can chose to go either way.

You take the Fish Lake Trail to the Three Lakes Trail over to the pizza place at Diamond Lake (another bathroom). If it is a nice day, I like to take a detour on the Crater Lake Trail and check out Crater Lake. This is such a beautiful view. Then I return to Diamond Lake on the Crater Lake trail and hook up to the Lake West Trail which will return you to Hamaker.

This is a fun loop for beginners to expert riders. There are many play areas along Three Lakes Trail where you can get off the trail. There are many great views along this trail. One for expert riders is Garwood Butte (I’ve gone down it) but it can be a tough climb out if you don’t know what you are doing. The trails are normally very well groomed. Lake West trail is got a lot of trees and steep stuff where you have to cross a few creeks which can be nerve wracking for beginners but the trail is well groomed so they shouldn’t have any problems.

Also, instead of going to Crater Lake, you could detour onto the top of Mt. Bailey which on a clear day you can see so very far.

I like this loop because of the variety of things you can do in a day. You can put some miles on your machine, get some great views, have some fun playing, it is good for every level of rider and best of all, you hardly ever see another sole out there. There are also plenty of bathrooms (there is another one at the entrance to Crater Lake Park if you can get into it depending on the snow) and a restaurant if you didn’t pack food in.

Crater Lake

Mt. Thieson

Lake West trail
      When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.

Kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers.

Comment

My Favorite Ride - Newberry

I would have to say that I have enjoyed riding in the Newberry area the most.

Leaving out of 10 Mile snow park you cruise down some of the best groomed trails I have seen (thanks to the La Pine Lodgepole Dodgers). You have the waterfall (which is often frozen in the winter), two lakes, the obsidian flow, Paulina Peak, and other landforms all in a very small area.

When the snow coverage is good you can ride up the rollercoaster (on top of the obsidian flow) and down into the "hell hole". Up past the lake you can get into some really nice wide-open glades with natural features to play on.

There is just a ton of cool stuff, and you don't have to spend a bunch of time to get where you want to go.

Ben

Comment

My favorite "trails" to ride are both in the Northern OR Cascades.

The first one is just a short little run. It's not even a trail, just something that some friends and I discovered one day by accident. We have named it "Bob". So, from Three Creeks Meadow, it's up a little hill between the trees (that can become fairly treacherous if icy). Once you break out at the "top", you head off to the left and find yourself in a shallow creek bed along a hillside. It's a great little bobsled type run that ends at a pump station. Then you just turn around and run it again. The challenge of the run depends completely on snow conditions.

The second trail is part of the Cross District Trail. The section that runs between HWY 242 (outside of Sisters) and Pole Creek (I think...it's been SEVERAL years since I've ridden this trail). It is not groomed, or at least it didn't used to be. It can be pretty technical and there are some great play areas to found between the two points. FUN, FUN, FUN!!

Hmmmm, maybe we should ride here on Sunday instead of HooDoo. Now, there's a thought!
          www.TeddUnlimited.com
          www.Facebook.com/TeddUnlimited.com

Comment

This is somewhat hard for me, I have been thinking about this and I can't decide what trail is my favorite becasue they all lead to areas that we play in, and most of the time we are rarely on a trail. So here's what I have come up with.

#1 Halfway Oregon, the trail that leaves the sno-park going to Fish lake & Sugarloaf Mtn. That trail has a lot of play areas that you can dive off or up as you head towards the lake. Once you get to the lake you can stay there all day playing (carving, hillclimbing). From there we'll either boondock to the fire tower, and drop down on the back side into the reservoir at the base of Sugar loaf. Sometimes that will take all day to do. Then other times we'll be back on the trail head towards Suagr loaf, again there are areas to play on the way up. Once you get to Sugar Loaf the main trail ends and you are on your own. Don't worry there are sometimes a good set of tracks to follow. And the real FUNS BEGINS.

#2 Well it's in Idaho....
            Not just boys have bad arse toys............censored word

www.snackerpackers.com

Comment

Originally posted by ben View Post
              I would have to say that I have enjoyed riding in the Newberry area the most.

Leaving out of 10 Mile snow park you cruise down some of the best groomed trails I have seen (thanks to the La Pine Lodgepole Dodgers). You have the waterfall (which is often frozen in the winter), two lakes, the obsidian flow, Paulina Peak, and other landforms all in a very small area.

When the snow coverage is good you can ride up the rollercoaster (on top of the obsidian flow) and down into the "hell hole". Up past the lake you can get into some really nice wide-open glades with natural features to play on.

There is just a ton of cool stuff, and you don't have to spend a bunch of time to get where you want to go.

Ben
              hey ben were is the roller coaster and all these places you guys talk about i hear some awesome stuff about the roller coaster but i have no idea were its at.

Comment

Roller coaster and hell hole are in the Paulina/East lake area.. awesome place to ride when the snow gets deep enough to cover the lava...

Comment

theregularguy,

I would absolutely go back to Paulina and ride Hells hole and rollercoaster BUT-I found on my trip there that it's not something you can do on a bad snow day like you can get away with other places. If it has good snow then hit it, if they don't have good snow ride somewhere else that day or you WILL be fixing your sled either due to icey hill climbs or icey off cambers putting you into trees no matter how much momentum you had or some of that lava taking your A-arm off because it grabs and doesn't let go like a log or normal rock. Just my thoughts on it though
                  Polaris Pro 162" boosted
                  Polaris Pro 155"
                  OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Comment

my home, my life, my love is kelsay mt. but i wouldn't waste my time going there just a bunch of rocks and trees come to think of it i don't know why i even spend the time to ride there... my favorite trail is the one that comes out the back of my sled as i'm boondocking through the trees, now theres a trail to follow

heres a pic i like to call the road less traveled, its actually not a road but the top of a ridge that is one hairy mother to get to!!! no roads, no trails, no groomers, just you and the trees. some of the most technical, intense riding i've found. this is what i call heaven on earth...

Last edited by 89sandman; 12-20-09, 06:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zookiracer View Post
                      theregularguy,

I would absolutely go back to Paulina and ride Hells hole and rollercoaster BUT-I found on my trip there that it's not something you can do on a bad snow day like you can get away with other places. If it has good snow then hit it, if they don't have good snow ride somewhere else that day or you WILL be fixing your sled either due to icey hill climbs or icey off cambers putting you into trees no matter how much momentum you had or some of that lava taking your A-arm off because it grabs and doesn't let go like a log or normal rock. Just my thoughts on it though
                      it sounds like fun but then it sounds like it would be to much of a pain i would still like to ride over there in feb or some where around there.

Comment

Originally posted by 89sandman View Post

heres a pic i like to call the road less traveled, its actually not a road but the top of a ridge that is one hairy mother to get to!!! no roads, no trails, no groomers, just you and the trees. some of the most technical, intense riding i've found. this is what i call heaven on earth...

Did we run this ridge when we rode with you??
                        www.TeddUnlimited.com
                        www.Facebook.com/TeddUnlimited.com

Comment

no we didn't, this one has only been seen by 3 peeps that i know of

Comment

I've seen it too Sandman....................from the benches and only with Binoc's!
                            Polaris Pro 162" boosted
                            Polaris Pro 155"
                            OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Comment

That looks like fun!!!
                              "IF YOUR GONNA BE STUPID, YOU GOTTA BE TOUGH!"

07' M-1K. Speedwerx pipe, y-pipe and can. SLP intake, Power Commander V programed by Eric at the Racing station, VForce 3 reeds, 4-post primary clutch w/a billet spider (bulletproof) and lots of venting.

Comment

Working...
                              X