Scary Trip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scary Trip

Earlier this season I took a trip with a few riding buddies to a location that will not be named. The riding was a bit rough due to rain the previous day and freezing overnight.

While taking a break and enjoying the view, we heard a sled or two coming up the trail behind us. As they got closer we heard a scream and then quiet. After a few minutes I hiked down the trail to see if everything was OK. Upon coming to an off-camber section of the trail, that actually freaked me out on the way up due to the ice, I saw a Dragon idling by itself. Looking more closely I saw a sled over the edge of the trail and down the ravine center punched against a tree.

I asked the visibly shaken guy standing next to it if everything was ok. He replied that he thought so. At that point I saw a woman, a very small little girl and blood all over the snow. I hiked down to find the woman with a busted helmet and a bloody nose, and the little girl sitting on the snow hunched over. About that time my buddies joined up to help out.

The woman seemed OK, other than what looked like a broken nose, and the girl did not seem to have any injuries beyond being scared. We helped the two of them back up to the trail, and my friend started to help the guy get the sled off the tree, which I was pretty doubtful about.

What seemed to happen was that the woman and the girl were on the same sled and the woman came off at that section of the trail. The girl stayed on and ghost rode the sled down into the small ravine and into the tree. As the sled was going down the woman gave chase, eventually tripping down a bank and smashing her face on the bumper of the sled, shattering her helmet face shield and nose.

Fortunately, the girl eventually perked up after some Skittles and a light stick, the woman escaped with a painful but relatively minor injury, and the guy eventually got the sled out. The girl was probably lucky the woman came off the sled, as she might have been injured if the both hit the tree (she was riding in front).

That was the trip that I decided I needed to carry a basic first-aid kit. I also took it as a sign that that trip was over for me.

My motiviation for sharing this is to stress the importance of being prepared, for you and others. Additionally, I hope someone that knows these people sees this someday and lets me know how everything worked out. In retrospect my suggestion would be to get some contact info for people you help out so you can follow up with them.

Ben

RE: Scary Trip

That would be disconcerting. I do carry a first aid kit but if something serious happened, I don't think it would be up to the task. But I alway do think of safety when I ride. For instance, I sometimes take my 12 year old niece with me snowmobiling and when she goes, I alway let someone in the group know that she has Type I diabetes just in case something were to happen to me or both of us. Although the chances are slim that something would happen I always feel it's better to be safe than sorry.
    When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.

Kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers.

Comment

It's hard to keep a "cool head" we are lucky to have people like that around us no matter when tragedy strikes..If you didn't get a thankyou then here is a big one now.THANKYOU!!!
      Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
      and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

Glad to hear that she only had a broken nose, and the little girl was just scared. Like you said it scould of been worse.
        I too carry a first aid kit, it's not much but it helps to have something. Everyone in our group also carrys some kind of survival gear, and we have one person carrying a flair gun.
        Not just boys have bad arse toys............censored word

www.snackerpackers.com

Comment

I had my own version of this "scary trip". Which I wasn't even going to post, as it makes me question my parenting choices every time I think about it.

Last year, Tedd and I took our girls to the Baker Shootout. Both girls are just almost too big to ride in front, but that's where they were both riding that day. We had a good ride up to the mountain, where the tents & BBQ were going to be set up. But the conditions when we first arrived were not stellar. Significantly LOW visibility. In addition, we had never ridden the area before.

We continued to ride up to a hilltop that the locals refer to as Hood Hill. After sitting up there for a bit and waiting for the conditions to improve, we decided to head back down to the main gathering area. I was following Tedd down and visibility ceased. Ya know how you can ride and it comes and goes depending on the depth of the fog, etc? Well that's what happened. I could see him anymore and I could tell by the way my sled was handling I was starting a sidehill. Which is challenging with a child in front of you anyway...much less when you can't see and are not familiar with the area. So, I decided to stay low and ride out the bottom. Makes sense right?

WRONG!

There is a known hazard in that area, but unknown to me. Additionally, we couldn't see it one our way up the hill because of the light. We had ridden right past it though. It's called the waterfall. Because it is a waterfall. Depending on the depth of the snow, the drop off varies. On this day it was probably about 15'.

You can probably imagine what happened next. I saw it just before going over it. Luckily for us, we were not traveling very fast and being spring conditions, the snow was soft. My daughter landed first, on her back and the snow enveloped her. I landed on partly on top her, on my back. The sled landed on me, track side up (thank GOD!).

As a parent, we can alot about our children by the tone of their tears. At least I can. I knew immediately by her tears that she was only scared and not injured. WHEW! I however knew that I had hit my knee on something cause it hurt. But my gear (KLIM with knee pads) was not torn.

There were three sledders at the site before I could take my first breath. Tedd was one of them. Apparently, the way the light was that day, they saw the whole thing happen. Tedd broke a bolt off his steering column wrenching his sled around to get to us. One rider remains unknown even now. The other was one of the 509 team riders. They got us out from under the sled and got it righted.

That effectively ended riding that day. We stuck around for the BBQ and shoot out. The girls made some friends with other children at the event and played in the snow. The adults made a big deal about Aspen's first "cornice drop" and she felt like a hero after a while. She had no fear getting back on the sled to ride out that afternoon. I DID! But, there were alot of friends there that day and they offered me space, time and lots of HUGS for my mini-break down. They got me back on my sled for the "get back on the horse" ride too. That helped immensely when it came time to ride out with Aspen.

She rides in the back now. I still, a year later, have a numb spot on my kneecap. Doc said that I would have probably shattered it if I wasn't wearing protective gear. All in all, the gods were keeping us safe that day. It could have been so much worse!!!

What did I learn? Accidents happen, even when you are being careful. ALWAYS wear protective gear. I added a core saver from SixSixOne to my gear. Both girls will wear some sort of chest protection the next time we have them out with us. Oh, and find out what the known hazards are in new riding areas.
          www.TeddUnlimited.com
          www.Facebook.com/TeddUnlimited.com

Comment

Wow....I can understand being shook up about that. But you are right, no matter how careful you are and how much you prepare, accidents do happen. The only thing you can do is be as prepared as possible...

Comment

I had a scary event happen yesterday. And Oregongirl, now I understand better about you quetioning your parenting choices. I keep going over the event trying to figure out what I could have done differently. Before I start, first I will say that everything and everyone will be okay.

I took my 12 year old niece snowmobiling with me yesterday. We had a good morning ride, played in the meadow at Lake of the Woods and were going on another ride. We were about six or seven miles out heading toward Pelican when it seemed as if my niece began to drive a little erratically. I was going to try and catch up and stop her so I could find out if she was doing it on purpose or what the problem was because I was beginning to become nervous about it. It was a curvy part of the trail and I came around the corner and no sled on the trail. I looked around and I came upon her about ten feet off the trail, the snowmobile was in a group of trees (not touching the ground) and she was thrown about ten feet through the trees laying in the snow, her snow boots knocked off. But she was moving and crying when I got to her. She just was frightened and after a quick inventory, she seemed okay but her back hurt.

I very nice man and his son came up and stopped and I have no idea who he was but I just want to take this opportunity to thank him. He made sure we were okay and proceeded to get the snowmobile turned off and work on getting it off the tree. The guy I was riding with also came back about this time and the three of them helped me to gather boots and gloves, we got my niece back on my other sled where I could check her out better. She was calmer now but she had a large bruise on her side which I wanted checked out by one of the EMT's down at Lake of the Woods because I was worried about internal injuries.

We left the guys there and headed back to the parking where she was checked out and it seemed to be nothing more than a bad, bad bruise. But I also checked her blood level because she has Type I diabetes and she was really, really low. We worked on getting her blood level up and I called her mother to let her know I was bringing her down the hill to be checked out. Someone unhooked my trailer and he drove us down the mountain to where my sister met us about half way. I was still trying to get her blood level back to an acceptable number at this point. We moved her to the other vehicle and they took her to be checked out by a doctor who said it was a bad bruise but nothing else. Thank goodness because it could have and looking at the sled and all the trees really should have been worse.

I headed back up the hill to get all my stuff that I left behind. I am so grateful to everyone who took care of everything for me so I could concentrate on getting my niece medical attention. From the anonymous guy and his son who stopped to help and got my sled out of the trees, to the friend who stayed and towed it back, to the medical help I got at Lake of the Woods which reassured me that the worst problem was the low blood sugar, to the guy who drove me down so I could look after my niece and to all the people who helped me load all my gear and sled up to the guy who offered to fix the sled for me. THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!! I am so grateful to have friend like this!

As to what actually happened to cause her to go off the trail, this is the best I can piece together because my niece doesn't remember anything about the accident and I didn't actually see it happen. She says that she was feeling like her blood level was crashing so she took her left hand off the sled to see if it was shaky. That is the last she remembers. I believe she was crashing (her blood level) which would explain the erratic driving. When she took her hand off, she must have lost some control and headed off the trail. I believe at this point she must have panicked and only having one hand on the snowmobile, she squeezed to hold on and hit the throttle which launched her into the trees.

On a somewhat lighter note, the first thing she said to me when I got to her was that "I don't want to ride anymore today, okay." I told her that I didn't expect that she would but that we would have to ride back to the truck. The second thing she said was "I'm sorry about your snowmobile" to which I told her that I didn't care about the snowmobile, I cared about her. She was very brave and did so well in the face of an emergency!

Again, I am so grateful that she is fine other than bruising and soreness and I am so grateful to the snowmobile community that steps up to help people in need.

Comment

You knew she was subject to problems but took her anyway..That is great! Kids like that get left behind too much and miss memorable experiences..She knows that a sugar crash can happen anytime anywhere, but even having a great time in the middle of nowhere people will see that she is ok! You both did great!!
                Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
                and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

I agree with Movin. It is great that you took her out there. I'm glad to hear that she wasn't terribly hurt!! As much as I question myself about even taking Aspen out with us snowmobiling, I know that our kids can get hurt on the playground, walking across parking lots, or even just falling out of bed. Risks abound!! Creating memories with the children in our lives, building self-esteem, generating a love for the great outdoors...PRICELESS!

The hardest part, for you, will be the next trip. Trust me on this....I've only been out once with Aspen since our escapade. But I will continue to push through MY fears, so I don't create any false fears for her. UGH...this parenting gig is TOUGH!
                  www.TeddUnlimited.com
                  www.Facebook.com/TeddUnlimited.com

Comment

A couple of weeks ago my mother in-law hit her face on the handlebars, cutting her nose which required 12 stitches. I had a first aid kit with me and was able to get the blood stopped. That was the first time I have ever had to use my first aid kit and was glad I had it. My wife is a RN and I am a cop so injuries unfortunately, are not new to us, and we dont panic when we see someone hurt. My boy is fearless on sleds and quads so I do get nervous when he is with us.

Comment

Thanks Movin and Oregongirl for the reassuring words. I realize that there is not much to be done when her blood level crashes that fast. She is real good about knowing her body and how it feels. She obviously felt that she was getting too low but the mistake was taking her hand off the handlebars without stopping first. One of the things her mother talked to her about is "what did this teach you" because something like this could happen when she is doing anything from riding her bicycle to someday, driving a car.

As awful as it sounds, I wasn't panicky or overly worried until after her mom took her to the hospital. That's when the what if's started running through my head. What if there really is internal bleeding....what if they couldn't get her blood sugar level stabilized....what if, what if, what if...thank goodness I didn't have to wait to long for the phone call that she was fine.

But I am also trying to learn from this and figure out if there was anything I could have done etc. My biggest thought is that I shouldn't have let her ride the 550 yet. If she was on the 340, when she grabbed the throttle it wouldn't have shot so far into the trees. But then again, if it didn't shoot so far up into the trees and go through the branches, she might have just hit the base of the tree with worse consequences. In reality, it was just an accident but I am still wrestling with it trying to make sense of the senseless.

She was diagnosed with diabetes very yound, five years old, and that is one thing we strive for is that there is nothing wrong with her, there is nothing to be ashamed of or hidden, she has a disease that she can control, and she can do anything she wants to. She plays on the basketball team, she was supposed to start track next week (hopefully she will be good enough to), she water ski's, she is on the yearbook committee and a whole bunch of other clubs and she is a straight A student. She is a tough cookie.

Comment

Glad you were OK

You know sometimes you just got to live and if something happens it happens. I am all for going for an adventure now and again. I wonder what 509 guys helped out? I know a couple of them. I think they are stellar.
                        I have always been impressed with the willingness of other motor sport enthusiasts to help on the trail. I mean random strangers go to such extents to help others it makes me proud of the sport. Glad your Klim gear held up too.

Comment

Working...
                        X