Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snomobiles and Noise regulations

http://www.totallyamaha.net/forums/showthread.php?t=41082

This from another state. What do you think about additional regulation for snowmobile noise. I know that there are riders here who just don't realize how loud and obnoxious they are. The sustainability of our sport in the future is going to come down to issues like this sooner or later.
    Let's see what you think. I have more than sled so I can choose to be loud or choose to cruise one of my quieter sleds on a group ride. It just depends on what and where we are riding. If I go to club events like ChiliQuin is having this weekend then I might bring my fast and loud ride for the radar run. When I went to the bailey poker run a while back I made sure we were not to obnoxious. I really don't want people to get the wrong idea about snowmobilers!
    Lead Follow or get the ---- out of the way!
    When in doubt Pin it !

RE: Snomobiles and Noise regulations

I wear my seatbelt for safety but it should be my choice..not law. If it comes to vote how have we protected our credibility? You are right on!!
    Vintage Ski-doo Summits, Honda Rincon, KBOC, Chiloquin Ridge Riders
    and the most repaired Tucker Sno-Cat in Oregon!

Comment

my 600 is pretty **** loud but I love it... my in-laws 900 is about twice as loud as mine is and i still think it sounds good.... you can ride at a decent pace without being crazt loud... i mean it you pin it of course its gonna get loud, but just cruising I dont think mine is anything louder than some stock sleds out there...

on a side note i used to have a raptor 660 and talk about a loud machine.... i had to wear ear plugs when I rode it... loud as hell.... everyone knew that I was coming when I was out and about on the sand....
      Take me to where the white stuff is!!!!

YOU MUCH ALWAYS PUSH THE LIMITS, BECAUSE IF YOU NEVER FAIL YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED

Comment

I have been working on maps for USFS and BLM for ATV routes. Have to juggle if snowmobile route can be used or if summer noise will be too close to cabins , people trails or?
        An example is riders want to stay at cabins or go to The lodge and have access to trail systems without having to load machines. If that happened to be lake of the woods, it already has people trails all over, campsites to consider..Then some one comes through with open exhaust, The Rec site GM gets on the phone!

Comment

the first thing i used to do to a new sled is a pipe and can, now i want a sled that i can just put a few add ons to and leave the motor alone. they are getting to the point where the performance and hp stock is plenty to get me around. where we ride there really is no one there to hear. have an 02 mountain cat with a d&d pipe, roll her up on its side and pin it and you'll hear it to the next valley. like my stock M8, nice and quite, can hear myself singing as i'm cruizin down the trail don't mind the loud sleds, but if you have one you need to be considerate of other peeps, don't go pinning the thing through the resort area because you have a small wang and it makes you feel big to let peeps know you need to spend a ton on your sled to compensate!!!

Comment

I hear turbos make good mufflers!!

Comment

Turbos are good mufflers! Like on my Diesel, I run 4" straight pipe with no muffler on it. The turbo is my muffler. Same for cars that run rear turbo's. Sounds killer and the Turbo is your muffler.

On my 700 Mountain Max has Pipes/Stingers on it. But it isn't the LOUD OBNOXIOUS snowmobiles that you hear out in the Meadow @ Lake of the Woods from time to time. That's too loud in my book. But each too their own!!! JMHO
              Wes Adams
              Mr.Triple
              Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
              2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
              2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
              2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
              2001 Polaris 500 SP
              ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Comment

Somethings are meant to be heard..like a triple pipe triple! Busa turbo, harley's and V8 engines come to mind..gear drives..Jet boats. P51 mustang..at reno..Its music!!

Comment

Ok, I have had some loud Sleds (Thunder Cat, ZRT 600 and 800 with Black Magic Pipes) and when I was younger I love the sound but as I have gotten old my new sleds have can's but they are not much louder than stock.

I don't think new laws need to be put into effect but I think the riders could clean up the noise a little themselves.

My 2 cents.

Comment

Working...
                  X