Avalanches in Oregon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Avalanches in Oregon

Oregon seems to take a back-seat as far as avalanche awareness and preparedness is concerned. Fortunately, it also seems to have many less avalanche related injuries and deaths. However, they still occur.

Has anyone here had any experiences with avalanches in state? Has anyone you know?

Ben

RE: Avalanches in Oregon

the only avalanches that I know of are the ones I read about on sno west or here or other sleddin websites... i do not know of any personal stories of people that I know of going through them or anything like that.... i am pretty thankful that i dont knwo anyone as well.... i would like to keep it that way...
    Take me to where the white stuff is!!!!

YOU MUCH ALWAYS PUSH THE LIMITS, BECAUSE IF YOU NEVER FAIL YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED

Comment

The first person to respond to this post gets an Alticity 6 DVD. Once verified/awarded you just need to PM or email me your mailing address and I'll ship it out to you.

RULES:
      1) This giveaway is only good for members who have registered prior to the timestamp on this post. Don't worry, you will have more chances to win so register up and tell your friends.

2) If you have won anything in the last 30 days from H2Oregon you are not eligible. Since this is the first one it really does not apply, I just want the rules to be consistent.

3) If you know me personally (vv, cb, or anyone related to them) I am sorry you are not eligible.

4) I would like the winner to post a short review once they have chance to watch it.

Comment

ha ha finally... I have conquered it!!!

YOU MUCH ALWAYS PUSH THE LIMITS, BECAUSE IF YOU NEVER FAIL YOU WILL NEVER SUCCEED

Comment

Originally posted by J-Rad
          ha ha finally... I have conquered it!!!
          Congrats to J-Rad on the Alticity 6 DVD!

PM me your mailing info and I will send it out.

But I am serious, has anyone seen/heard of actual avalanche issues in Orgeon?

Ben

Comment

yes beyond the factg that i finally won a dvd.. i have not heard of any avalanche stuff going on much in oregon. I know that where i ride at hoodoo....there isnt much of a threat not a lot of big open faces that people ride on, there is sand mountain and chache mountain but thats about it.....dont think there is much danger there... but you never know i guess......

Comment

Due to the fact that Susie was holding my computer hostage while I could have been looking for this post and beat J-rad to the punch. Darn women, always causing problems
              Tedd Unlimited - Dealer for Wary Avi Pack, Snowpulse, Klim, Ram Mounts, UTV Tech, UTV Inc, Factory UTV, RZ Mask, Pro Armor, Dragonfire Racing, Aerocharger Turbos, OMF Bead Locks, Heretic Lighting, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, Extreme Metal Products, ZBroz Racing/ARSFX, Pure Polaris, Can-Am parts & accessories, Ski-doo parts & accessories, and expanding.

Tedd Unlimited on Facebook

Comment

Our club has someone who is some kind of certified avalanche rescue person. He wants to teach a half day class this year on how to find someone and probably how to avoid them. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will post it here when I get more info.
                When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.

Kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers.

Comment

At least two interested here in Creswell. Maybe four.
                  www.TeddUnlimited.com
                  www.Facebook.com/TeddUnlimited.com

Comment

There was a significant avalanche several years ago at Crater Lake, two folks in a search party looking for lost snowboarders were buried, both made it out ok. That event made The Weather Channel's significant weather event on cable TV.

I know of one at Paulina Lake where a rider was highmarking, he made his turn and the hill came down, he was able to barely outrun the snow. It filled the bowl that he was riding in, two other guys were riding with the guy were parked a ways up the hill, and saw the event. Fortunately, they were high enough on the hill that the snow was still below them when it settled. We do have avalanches here. How many of us are really prepared?

The rescue team for YOU is YOUR buddies. What kind of rescue can they put in place if YOU get buried?

Comment

Originally posted by Snowlover View Post
                      Our club has someone who is some kind of certified avalanche rescue person. He wants to teach a half day class this year on how to find someone and probably how to avoid them. If anyone is interested, let me know and I will post it here when I get more info.
                      Susie and I are definitely interested, keep us posted.

Originally posted by BCDan View Post
                      The rescue team for YOU is YOUR buddies. What kind of rescue can they put in place if YOU get buried?
                      I can tell you that we are prepared as best as we can so far. We both carry shovels, probes, and wear beacons. Could we use a little more practice with them? Of Course, practice makes perfect. I carry enough medical supplies to get someone off the mountain that suffers injury, of course there is limitations to that as well. MOST of the people we ride with have the same frame of mind that we do, BUT there are a few that do but haven't made the investment in ALL of the correct equipment. We will get them there soon hopefully.
                      Tedd Unlimited - Dealer for Wary Avi Pack, Snowpulse, Klim, Ram Mounts, UTV Tech, UTV Inc, Factory UTV, RZ Mask, Pro Armor, Dragonfire Racing, Aerocharger Turbos, OMF Bead Locks, Heretic Lighting, Rocky Mountain ATV/MC, Extreme Metal Products, ZBroz Racing/ARSFX, Pure Polaris, Can-Am parts & accessories, Ski-doo parts & accessories, and expanding.

Tedd Unlimited on Facebook

Comment

I'm interested and could proboly find a couple others too.

Comment

Okay, mark your calendars and check out our website for more information later. We have set a date for the avalanche rescue training for January 24th. It will be held at Thousand Springs Sno-park on Highway 62 (near the entrance to Crater Lake Nat'l Park). We are actually having a Ladies Ride that day there and thought we would also hold the avalanche class the same day. http://www.roguesnowmobilers.com
                          When it snows, you have two choices: shovel or make snow angels.

Kindness is like snow - it beautifies everything it covers.

Comment

Email sent, thanks.

Comment

I know someone that it has happen too. They were in the Bowl @ Pelican Butte. I do believe up the main shoot. This has been a few years back! I have only known of it twice to happen. So I have heard....
                              Wes Adams
                              Mr.Triple
                              Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
                              2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
                              2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
                              2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
                              2001 Polaris 500 SP
                              ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Comment