Thread: Kapka Butte Snowpark Update 07.11.2009

Like(s)
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Default Kapka Butte Snowpark Update 07.11.2009

According to our Forest Service representatives, I quote :"still working on the effects analysis.........stay tuned but will be fall before you hear much from the process." I am hoping this is a good sign. Maybe they are beginning to put more thought into these decisions.

Myself, Dan Galecki, Chuck Tolboe, Jan Pitman, Van Van Gelderen and Gordon Shields attended a meeting (Deschutes Provincial Advisory Committee) last Thursday at the FS office on Emkay. They are beginning to prepare for the new Deschutes Forest Plan that will coming in 2010. They are beginning to get the idea we have a lot of people that all want to use the forest land for many different uses. In turn, comes the issue of people not wanting to share this limited area. I can gladly say all of the people representing the snowmobile community unanimously stated we all need to share what we have and we can not continue to close users out just to pacify specific groups.

We can only hope they listen.

More to come soon.

Dutchman Task Force
    Dutchman@4Bend.com
    Moon Country Sno-mobile Club
    http://www.mooncountrysnomobilers.com
    Last edited by dlynn; 07-12-09 at 09:59 AM.

Like(s)
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

More to come very soon on the Kapka Issue. My how slow the worm turns. Lots of the same old stuff with lots of new twists. We are putting a release together and will post it very soon. Thanks to all who have been involved and showed their support.

Like(s)
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dlynn View Post
    More to come very soon on the Kapka Issue. My how slow the worm turns. Lots of the same old stuff with lots of new twists. We are putting a release together and will post it very soon. Thanks to all who have been involved and showed their support.
    Hi dlynn

I am really interested to get the latest skinny on the project and related news. There seems to be a fair amount of information or misinformation out there. Someone very close to the project was telling me that there is another highway underpass being looked at, closer to the proposed sno-park location. I didn't know if this was wishful thinking, or just plain incorrect. I also heard that there was informal conversation going on at high levels related to expansion of Dutchman, if Tumalo were to be designated as 100% non-motorized. Probably all just rumor and innuendo.

Looking forward to hearing the rest of the story.

Ben

Like(s)
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Hi Ben
    Sorry I missed your post. We did post some updates in the Access Issues. The items you have mentioned are news to me. I have not seen or heard anything about them. The FS is moving forward with the welcome center and it will have a underpass as I have heard. The EIS for Kapka has been updated to include a dog ski area on the west side of the highway. They keep adding cost to the park but I am not sure where the money will come from. The FS doesn't have any worries about money.
    The Federal Highway Commission has gotten involved with Kapka on the FS side. They put up the original money when the FS decided it would only cost 450k to build Kapka. The FS has spent +/- 100k in DEIS, EIS and what ever they spend the money on. We are working on setting up a meeting with Greg Walden on the issue and will post the outcome.