Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Goggles to buy and why???

Like(s)
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

Default What Goggles to buy and why???

Needing a new pair of Goggles, wanting something light, comfortable, doesn't freeze and reasonable in price. What do you have and would you buy them again. Looking for lenses that don't scratch very easily also.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I have worn the Smith Cascade Classic goggle for about 15 years now. It is comfortable amber lens which is dark enough for bright days but the right color to help with contrast on dark days. The lens has no mirror coating to scratch and the best part. 27 dollars sometimes on sale for 15. Oh and it is made to fit helmets and have no forehead gap.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'm not an expert by any means but I bought a pair of the 509's last year and they do really good. When they do fog up it's only when I'm stopped and they instantly clear up as soon as I get going again. I was using Bolle prior to that. They are all right now they are back ups but I haven't had to us them sense I got the others.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have (3) pairs of 501 and love them but last fall I bought these just because I wanted to take videos of our ride. Their fantastic but not cheep.

Name:  0000-Liquid-Image-Apex-Plus-Wi-Fi-1080p-HD-Video-Snow-Goggles.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  16.0 KB
    The Apex HD is a Full HD Video/12MP Photo Snow Goggle. This new model features a rotating camera lens height adjustable within 30 degrees to dial in the best camera angle for your stance whether you board, ski, or ride a snowmobile. The Apex HD records video in 1080P at 30fps and features a HIGH ACTION mode of 720P at 60fps for smooth motion. The audio features wind guard technology for high quality sound. This new model also features a continuous shot photo mode. Still images are recorded at 12.0MP. The 135 degree camera lens positioned just above the eyes captures True POV footage of everything you see on the go as with the original models from Liquid Image released in 2011. New features on this model include a streamlined frame with a spherical lens. The compartments for batteries and memory are diverted to the sides, creating a more aerodynamic design with better weight distribution. The Helmet Compatible Apex HD comes with two anti-fog, 100% UV Protected lens (Gold Ionized & Amber lenses included with 338W and Ionized & Amber lenses included with 338BLK). The face foam is replaceable to change out as needed.

The product includes one strap to customize the look of the goggle along with everything you need for a day of recording on the slopes; includes a 4GB Micro SDHC card, rechargeable battery, and USB cable for download and charging

Like(s)

Ouch those are expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by CrescentLake View Post
    I have (3) pairs of 501 and love them but last fall I bought these just because I wanted to take videos of our ride. Their fantastic but not cheep.

Name:  0000-Liquid-Image-Apex-Plus-Wi-Fi-1080p-HD-Video-Snow-Goggles.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  16.0 KB
    The Apex HD is a Full HD Video/12MP Photo Snow Goggle. This new model features a rotating camera lens height adjustable within 30 degrees to dial in the best camera angle for your stance whether you board, ski, or ride a snowmobile. The Apex HD records video in 1080P at 30fps and features a HIGH ACTION mode of 720P at 60fps for smooth motion. The audio features wind guard technology for high quality sound. This new model also features a continuous shot photo mode. Still images are recorded at 12.0MP. The 135 degree camera lens positioned just above the eyes captures True POV footage of everything you see on the go as with the original models from Liquid Image released in 2011. New features on this model include a streamlined frame with a spherical lens. The compartments for batteries and memory are diverted to the sides, creating a more aerodynamic design with better weight distribution. The Helmet Compatible Apex HD comes with two anti-fog, 100% UV Protected lens (Gold Ionized & Amber lenses included with 338W and Ionized & Amber lenses included with 338BLK). The face foam is replaceable to change out as needed.

The product includes one strap to customize the look of the goggle along with everything you need for a day of recording on the slopes; includes a 4GB Micro SDHC card, rechargeable battery, and USB cable for download and charging
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)
    Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Oakley. Look at their website: No BS. Then go find them on sale: Usually easy. By far the best lenses IMO

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rambob View Post
    Oakley. Look at their website: No BS. Then go find them on sale: Usually easy. By far the best lenses IMO
    I have been looking at the Oakley. My main concern is the fogging. I hate when you have a good deep pow day and everything is wet and you can't see sh!t!!!!
    If only they made a guaranteed no fog lens. I could see paying a decent price to see.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

Amen to the wet and no see days. It's worse when you have glasses. Seeing is NOT over-rated!!

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

i learned long ago to treat your goggles like gold on snowy days. on those days mine go in the engine compartment everytime i stop. i have run several different types and have had good sucess with all of them. just of course make sure your running dual lense. i'm with rambob i run oakleys.

Like(s)

I'm surprised there isn't more conversation on this thread. Maybe they all have the perfect goggles and not wanting to share or they can't see either on those really wet days. Ron I have the goggle bag I strap to the inside of the hood and change out in those conditions but still not enough.
    I WANT THE PERFECT GOGGLE!!!!!

By the way Dan have you looked into the prescription goggles. I think dad had a Uvex pair 10 years ago but thinking there are more and better now. You are getting a double whammy there and can see where it stinks.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)

What stinks is riding along in grey-out conditions and getting bounced off because your sled falls into a hole you didn't even see. You should have taken pics of that

I'm thinking Lasix is in my near future. Then I will go back to this thread to see what kind of goggles to get

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
    What stinks is riding along in grey-out conditions and getting bounced off because your sled falls into a hole you didn't even see. You should have taken pics of that

I'm thinking Lasix is in my near future. Then I will go back to this thread to see what kind of goggles to get
    Shoot I have 20/20 I don't think anything would have helped. That and I think you were digging me out that day!!!! Were even!!!!
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have been running with Oakley M-Frames (I believe) for several years now. They have worked great. The only thing that has made them better was installing the 509 goggle fan. This combo has been the best setup I have found so far. Just my opinion though.

Like(s)
    Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts

I bring two to three PR gloves.and two to three pair goggles. When the last of either gets broken out I know its time.to head to the car.

Like(s)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have scott XI with nose gaurd I have had 2 pair for 8 years or so my wife has the same goggles. Goggle warmer is great nothing like puling out a dry warm pair every time you need them My oldest boy got a pair of 509's and he has no problems.

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary ol kitty View Post
    I have scott XI with nose gaurd I have had 2 pair for 8 years or so my wife has the same goggles. Goggle warmer is great nothing like puling out a dry warm pair every time you need them My oldest boy got a pair of 509's and he has no problems.
    I have been wearing the Scott XI for 4 years but it is time for them to either get new lenses or be replaced. I like them but with the advancement of lenses out there want to make sure there isn't anything better. I love my goggle warmer on my M but unfortunately it is in getting repaired so no dry goggles. Trying to figure out where I can mount it on my POO.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Under 20 bucks for lens . How is that warranty working? One thing I will say is you need to try goggles with your helmet they are all different shapes.

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by gary ol kitty View Post
    Under 20 bucks for lens . How is that warranty working? One thing I will say is you need to try goggles with your helmet they are all different shapes.
    Yeah Warranty on a snowmobile during the season is sooooo slow.
    Was planning on taking my helmet with me. Was going to buy a new lens but wanted an extra set for the future. Glad to see some new snow on the mountains. Name:  snowmobiling 1 28 2013 001.jpg
Views: 244
Size:  117.9 KBName:  snowmobiling 1 28 2013 009.jpg
Views: 228
Size:  119.1 KBName:  snowmobiling 1 28 2013 011.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  149.8 KB
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)

Name:  2013-01-28 14.06.33.jpg
Views: 219
Size:  68.7 KBName:  2013-01-28 14.06.40.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  100.0 KB

Riding the wifes sled. Enough snow to make it fun but not enough to make it to much work. Let the little guy drive most of the way. Good thing he could see. kept rubbing goggles to scrape the sticking snow off.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)

so.. where's the red ride??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast