Thread: 01 Arctic cat flooding issues

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default 01 Arctic cat flooding issues

Got a 01 mt cat 800 with some problems. Blew it up a week ago rebuilt motor and runs great, once it gets started. For the first few times it started 1st or 2nd pull with no problem. Took it out over the weekend and it wouldn't start because it was flooded. Pulled the plugs cleaned them and got it started and it ran fine all day. Went to move it tonight and within 3 pulls it was flooded so bad it was dumping gas out the y pipe again. The carbs were cleaned when the motor was out could I have missed something? Guys have any advise???

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

i'd check the needle and seat in the carbs, if its flooding that fast one is most likely sticking open.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I took the plugs out and pulled it over a few times there was a TON a fuel that misted into the air out of both cylinders, I couldn't get it to quit misting until I pinched off the fuel line. If the needle and seat is bad in one carb will both cylinders be full of fuel?

Like(s)
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

One other thing you could check is the vaccum hose on the fuel pump if its wet the diaphragm is leaking and filling the crank case. I had this happen once scored 2 pistons before I figured it out.

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

good idea gary, it would be like a fuel pressure regulator leaking on efi the vaccum line will then just suck fuel right out of the pump. did you check the reeds when you had it apart? check the float levels in the carbs? do you know why the motor blew? was it a top or bottom end? did it ever have this problem before? i always say i can't wait until theres not one carb left on the planet

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Good idea I will check the vac lines tonight, the reeds were check briefly before reinstalling the motor. It ran fine and started fine for the first two days after the rebuild and it still runs fine but you have to shut off the fuel, blow out the cylinders and then start it. grrrrrrrrrrr. not sure why the motor blew originally, it didn't look like your typical burn down, broke skirt on one piston and seized, poked a hole in the bottom of the case had to split the cases and get it welded. It never had this problem before.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Needle and seat were bad in both carbs, not sure how that can happen but who knows. Looked again at the reeds they look good. Going to put back together tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed.