Thread: Oil injection vs. mixing

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Oil injection vs. mixing

Hey all got a question. I blew up my sled (2001 arctic cat 800 mountian cat) first run out this year and am in the process of rebuilding.. My biggest concern is if the oil injection system is working properly? Is there a simple way to test it? And what is everyones opinion on removing the oil injection system and returing to old school premixing?

Thanks...

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

When I do significant repairs to my engines, I will make sure all the air is bled from the oil pump as best as can be determined. Then I mix the first tank of gas with oil at 50:1. I fill the oil tank and gas tank full and then ride. After the ride, I measure the amount it takes to fill the oil and gas back up to the full mark and calculate whether the ratio is correct. If it is, I over-oiled and may foul a plug. Oh well. If the pump isn't working, you still have adequate oil to ensure the engine doesn't starve for lubrication.

Not sure on the AC engine, but most of the newer Polaris engines have oil lines going to the outside crank bearings. Premix doesn't get to those bearings very well, so additional lines were added. Oil injection works pretty well, I would keep it if it were mine.

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

i have lost 2 motors over the years from failed pumps. it just makes no sense to me to have a system that will cause you major engine damage when it does not need to exsist. absolutley hated it on my pro, on hardpack days it would mix up to 60:1 one, deep days when i was in the gas all the time i got down to 32:1. so on hardpacked days i would end up putting oil in the gas tank to make up the difference. i guess coming from a two stroke motorcycle background mixing gas is just second nature to me. as soon as my sleds are out of warranty if it is possible i delete it. some like it, some don't, put me in the don't crowd

Like(s)
    Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

I have sleds that have oil injection and others that dont. If you rebuild your engine with oil injection. the best way is to cap the oil line that goes to the injection pump. Fill the reservoir full of oil. When your ready to plug in the oil line, make sure you have a container. Then pull the cap off the line and watch some of the oil come out. There should be no air bubbles. Attach line to the pump. Start the sled and let it run at idle with the pump wide open for 5~10mins or so. This gets rid of the rest of the air from the pump to the lines @ the case. You should be good to go! Adding oil to the gas will help!

Now if you want to get rid of the pump. They make a block off plate for that. On the Polaris, you use a dremel type tool and grove out the inside of the case. Thats so it gets lubed! On a cat, I'm not sure. There are plenty of people who have done it.

Long as you dont mind mixing your stuff. Your good! It saves weight but it eliminates the possibly of the cable/ pump going bad on you. One less thing to go wrong!

One last word of caution to you! Once you build your engine, you start it (Prime the pump). Let it get to operating temp (at an idle). Shut it off and let it cool. Do it again. Once it cools, check the torque on the head again. Heat cycles can make it come lose again. And if you never check it, after the first initial torquing of the head. You can be left stranded!

I hope you find this helpful!
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Like(s)

I found some info on the Cat~

To delete the oil pump you can either get a block off plate with a grease zerk that you have to remember to grease occasionally or drill a hole from the center section of the upper crankcase into one side so oil can get in and lubricate the seal and bushings on the water and oil pump drive shaft.

Take your cases apart and on one side (pick one) where the oil hole for the center main bearing is just drill right next to it at an angle so it ends up into the center cavity. Then just radius the holes good to promote good oil flow. Radius all the bearing drain holes. You only have to plug up the bottom feed hole for the oil pump drive. Or you can connect a bleed bottle of oil to the drive and watch it as it slowly uses oil. Mike at CPI told me one step under 3/16. without looking at my drill index i cant remember. If you dont want to drill you can hook a small bottle to the bottom oiler with a 100 main jet in the tube also.
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default More rebuild questions... For those who are bored and can't sled during the week:)

Wow, thanks guys. I think I am going to delete it and block it off with a plate with a zerk fitting, how often should one lube this throughout the year?? AND as this is my first rebuild that I have been an active part of, is there ANYTHING else I should take a look at before I assemble the motor and drop it back in?

I did look at the steering components and found one extremly worn bushing connecting the steering arm to the tie rod end.. Fix that, however, I didn't have the stock bushing, I used another one I had with a couple washers for spacing.. I'm not 100% sure on if I should trust the rigged bushing or if I should order a new OEM bushing?? See the attached diagram, it is part number 2. The rigged bushing does not have the flange on the outside as the OEM one does, this is where we used washers as spacers instead.. What do you guys think?
    Name:  59.gif
Views: 3774
Size:  21.3 KB

Like(s)

So guys grease it every time they go out.... Some do it every other ride. Glad I can help
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP