Thread: Cat f-570 fan starter motor gear sheared off

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Cat f-570 fan starter motor gear sheared off

I have a 2011 f-570 fan 500kms. It started making a horribile sound,like gears grinding.then it happened,the starter motor gear that conneacts to the fly wheel sheared off.iam wondering why out of the blue this would happen.maby something was out of allignment.i havnt replaced the starter motor yet or had tech. Look at it.i got a quote for the repair $600.i just use the pull start for now.if someone has any advice on what could of caused this that would be great. I think ill repair it myself when i can afford the $300 for the starter motor.and oh yes,i forgot ill have to replace the fly wheel too.lol.thanks

Like(s)
    Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts

Sounds like the bendix solenoid had stuck causing the gear to remain out until it couldn't "cope" with the engine rpm's any longer. Normally the gear only shoots out to engage the gear on the clutch until it fires then it retracts. This is what I believe if I'm understanding you right. 600 sounds spendy. I would think the starter could be rebuilt, maybe just the bendix portion. Shouldn't even be 600 for a complete starter tho....I haven't priced them, that just sounds excessive. I'd say 1/2 that for a starter off the top o my head.
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Like(s)

Oops, I see the 6 included labor. My bad. I guess stuff just breaks sometimes. Dunno what would actually cause the sticking on such a new unit.
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Starter motor on f570

Thanks for the reply.that sounds right when you say solenoid it makes sence.it goes out with the key turning"power supply"engages the fly wheel that starts the motor.then goes back into the starter motor.the $600 is the starter motor 300,fly wheel 100,labour 200.plus 5%gst tax.maby i can get the starter motor rebuilt.ill check it out. I was worried something was not alligned or loose motor mounts.my daughter still rides it all the time.i just start it for her when its cold for now.its not a bad little machine for trail riding.only 60hrp.
    but very stable and comfortable for trail riding.paid 6800 new jan.2011 on sale.right beside it was the 500 lxr for 1500 more.i should of got it.500 liquid,efi,and what i didnt realize at the time,80 hrp.but my daughter or my wife will never miss the extra 20 ponies.oh well its still a fun machine for the family.

Like(s)

That flywheel should be hardened, at least harder than the gear-I would think. Did they tell you to replace it or is it buggered up real bad? I do know normally gears chains ect. should be replaced in complete sets to allow them to "mate", this is such a new machine and the two pcs. are only together for such a short time. Just curious. Do make sure all is/was tight tho. I don't know if those starters have alignment shims...(my F is non elec. start) my guess is still a random failure tho. Good luck.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im not sure if the fly wheel is done.it looks like the teath are damaged.i dont know if the starter motor has shimms.i can look it up now that i downloaded the shop manual and then printed it off.im thinking of doing it myself because the nearest cat dealer is in grande prarie alberta.180 kms. Away and $110/hr. im not a tech. By any means but i can do the common sence stuff.now that i have a phaser mtx.even a oil change and a filter is a major project.when they charge $ 110/hr.i was tolb by a freind they take 4 hrs. For the oil change.plus the oil,filter,tax comes in almost & 500.so if i can do the work myself i will.thanks for the help.

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

The starter gear is fastened to the primary by screws, there's no shimming. Sometimes the primary gets buggered up too. The screws are probably loctited in there, you may have to use some heat to get them out to attach the new gear.

You can get parts for the starter at www.alpha-sports.com cheaper than the local dealer has quoted. New starter from Alpha Sports is $207.99 but then shipping adds to that. If you can get it apart to see what's broken, it's likely that you can fix it. I had the ring gear come off my 2-up and break the bendix, and was able to repair it myself. It wasn't too difficult, especially if you have a good manual.

Like(s)
    Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

Good advice BC Dan....
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

thanks for the reply. iam going to check out that websight for the starter and fly wheel.i hope my primery is ok. is there a way that i can tell if its buggered too?i got a quote from the grande prairie yamaha guys for the first 500 km. service of $300 for my new phaser mtx.so if i can save money on my f-570 starter repair i could use it for the phaser mtx.its warming up today in grande cache so lets ride.x-mas holidays are almost over.

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by BCDan View Post
    The starter gear is fastened to the primary by screws, there's no shimming. Sometimes the primary gets buggered up too. The screws are probably loctited in there, you may have to use some heat to get them out to attach the new gear.
    I was talking about the starter body being shimmed to the mounting points actually. (Like Chevy starters for example)... It just occurred to me he'll need to pull the primary to remove the ring tho right? Will need a puller if that's the case.

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

Yep. Ring gear is on the back side and smaller than the clutch. Clutch has to come off. Dang rings are spendy items!!

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just got back from a ride up grande mountain.teperature warmed up here in grande cache.to -6 celcius.nice,we took the 3 machines,grande touring 550,f-570,phaser mtx.we can ride from town here so its nice.got my daughter a gopro for xmas so when we figure it out were gonna make some youtube vids.of this area.lots of snow up there.tobad there putting in a coal mine soon.but people need to work.keep up those toy payments.never worried about the starter motor today just enjoyed the snow and the trails.tommorow we are going to load up the machines and head east 1/2 hr. towards hinton alberta and ride some cutlines.thats where the phaser mtx shines.theres about 24-30 inhes of snow and hardly anyone ever rides these cutlines,they go for miles.we usually see moose and the odd woodland caribou.when i figure out the gopro ill post some youtube vidios to "peppy878".

Like(s)
    Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Looking foreward to the vids Pierre Roy. If it starts with the pull start easily I'd not worry about fixing the starter until you had the time (like next spring), until then ride that thing!

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yes absolutley,just about ready to head out for our ride.just waiting for my 15 yr. old daughter to get out of bed.lol iam uploading a vid now.only 558min.to go.so we will see how it turns out.ill repair the starter motor latter.