Thread: primary clutch won't engage

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default primary clutch won't engage

I have a 2007 Arctic cat T660 turbo touring LE the primary clutch spins when started but won't engage in either the forward or reverse position. I would appreciate any help troubleshooting this problem and ideas on where to start looking.

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

I would start by removing the clutch and giving it a good cleaning. About the only things that can keep the sheaves from moving are frozen weight bushings or a stuck main bushing. With cleaning and inspection, you should be able to see where the problem is.

If you don't have a puller, you can do a pretty good job of cleaning with the clutch on the sled. Just remove the bolts that are holding the cover on. Leave two that are opposite of each other tight, remove the rest. Then remove the other two. There will be some force on the cover from the spring, but by the time the bolts are loose, most of the force is gone. The cover may pop a bit, so be ready for it. Putting the cover back on is a bit more of a problem, it helps if you have another set of hands to help compress the spring until you start a couple of bolts.

Blow the clutch out with compressed air first, then clean with something like Simple Green and a green Scotch-Brite pad. Don't lubricate, clutches are designed to run dry.

Good luck!

Like(s)
    Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

I agree but also a good idea before you remove anything is to mark everything with a sharpi so it will go back on in the same orientation for balancing. Also I completely agree clutches are made to run dry and any lube is asking for problems BUT when I'm on the hill and a sticky clutch can ruin a day I have removed the belt and shot the primary full of wd40- ran up and down at engagement rpm to get it to break loose then I hit again with wd to flush any thing out then and most important I completely reflush with a good break cleaner or anything else that will wash off the wd40 and give me a dry clean clutch-MAKE SURE NO WD GETS ON THE BELT or you can consider it gone.
    This has saved my day as well as a few buddy's when the clutch you thought was good starts acting up-also good to have some towels on hand since the spinning clutch will really make a mess
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"
    OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

Unlike Polaris clutches, the individual parts to a Cat clutch are balanced prior to assembly. Cat clutches don't have the X to align the parts to keep the balance, as all the parts are already balanced. I would still do as zookiracer suggests, though. Can't hurt to put it back together the same way it came apart.. it's just not as critical as it would be on a Polaris clutch.

Like(s)
    Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts

My cat clutches have assembly marks cast in
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the all the advice will start working on it this weekend want it running soon. This forum is great when you need help just reach out and people are there to assist. Fantastic group of people here.
    Thanks again

Like(s)
    Liked 62 Times in 47 Posts

^^^^^ my thoughts exactly. 1st place I go for questions anytime. Nothing like harnessing the power of SO MANY peoples minds with the same interests as you!!
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.