Thread: sleddeck project

Default sleddeck project

So I've decided to get this project started, I've got a trailer that at times is a little much to tow for day trips or longer trips so I decided to sit down and bust out a sled deck.

Some items I needed to consider

1-I run a large bedbox with a fuel tank in it so I dont want to pull and store it all winter so the sledeck will have to allow to keep the bed box in
    2-I want simple and clean and haul two sleds
    3-I have a dually so there's no need to make it an expandable deck as my fenders always stick out
    4-I don't want to pull the sledeck when I haul my trailer that has a short tongue so I may make the beavertail part flip over back into the bed
    5- I didn't want to spend a fortune on it
    6-three tow points to winch up any dead sleds

So at work we have a new tube laser which makes cutting and notching tube a breeze, also adding any holes or reliefs- I looked at what we had for excess stock material and decided on 1.75x.120wall square tube for the main frame work and 2x.120 wall for the front to rear runners. Doing some figuring and to clear the bedbox made it pretty simple to see what I needed to make- it ended up using one stick of 2" and 4sticks of 1.75 material. Also having the tube laser took me less than 5 minutes TOTAL to cut all material to exact length and add saddle notches for the top cross rails, adding the saddle notches left .250 of material at the bottom but made the top where the decking will mount completely level- I'm over explaining but the pics will show it

From here out I need to order two sheets of .125 Alum diamond plate for top decking and I think I'm going to laser cut two side rails out of 3/16's Aluminum and just make them bolt on for simplicity, then a ramp that will slide under and a front headache rack to keep ski's out if my rear window! Also some ski runners and tiedowns systems- I think rear flood lights as well as under deck lights to see gear in the bed

Any thoughts or advice will be considered as I've never built a sledeck before, the pics so far show what 5min at work and an evening welding after work has accomplished
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"
    OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Default sleddeck project

Also no matter what I do my 163" sled is going to be hanging two feet out the back!
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"

Default sleddeck project

GREAT pre plan & Nice work CJ... I look forward to seeing the final.

...truck seemed kinda Lonely with out SLEDSPACE sticks LOK
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Default sleddeck project

Is Ben still Giving out stickers? I want to put 1 On my new sled.

Default sleddeck project

I was actually thinking about laser cutting out "Sledspace, pretty much the best snowmobiling forum ever" all down the side rails! Or having a vinyl wrap done so I can just powder coat and roll out a fresh look every year on it.

Last season I had two wrecks in front of me on the drive down the hill- one put my truck and enclosed and the car behind me off and through a county ditch, the other almost cost me new paint swapping down both sides. So with peeps like that out there I want good hold downs- was thinking the superclamps since it seems everyone uses them but are they really that good or is there something better out there? Anyone have any thoughts on what might be better? And what's the best ski guides you guys have seen? I have an old bedliner but would gladly buy something that would be better and can easily be reordered with just a phone call if I ever need to replace it
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"

Quote Originally Posted by Team Classic View Post
    Is Ben still Giving out stickers? I want to put 1 On my new sled.
    YES!!

SASE to:

SLEDSPACE
    PO Box 567
    Bend, OR 97709

Your deck is looking good, looking a bit over-built but you have a dually so I doubt the extra weight matters. Just make sure you have some strong buddys or a hoist to get it in the bed.

I use superclamp's, they are awesome, fast, user friendly and look clean. I want to get a set for the skids also but haven't, yet.

I had to get my sled on dead early season, just used a come-along attached to the headache rack. During normal season it's easy to find a bank high enough to just push the dead sled on the deck.

Decks are so much better then trailers!

google super glides, they make what your looking for.

Default sleddeck project

Had a deck for 2 seasons worked great until u have to remove. Need help to remove, lucky me I have a skid steer to pick off. They work great for sketchy switch back entry and deep snow parking. Have fun!

Very nice! Good job Zooki!!!
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Default sleddeck project

Okay back to it! I've had an unexpected run or preseason energy I've been taking advantage of. I ran over to Greg Coens Polaris and picked up some Caliber low pro slides, went with them because they were the same price as superslides but you get twice the linear footage, or half price if you want to look at it that way. Then ordered two super clamps as he was the lowest price I'd found. Also ordered some ramp guides but they haven't come in yet so I'm waiting to make the ramp. Welded up the rear beavertail today and placed all my endcaps to bolt the alum sides on.

Also knocked off my preseason list has been two things I've been thinking about all year. I wanted a winch on my truck this year as well as good lights for the dark drives up and down the highway as well as a small lift to stop my front tires from rubbing in the snow on tight turns. So I popped out a front winch mount/ light mount the I measured up my Dodge and built a front 2.25" front leveling kit and put that in lastnight- BRING ON THE SNOW!!!
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"