Thread: Testing the stator on 2001 Summit 800

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Default Testing the stator on 2001 Summit 800

Some background on the issue...went to Hoodoo last weekend and the sled fired right up as usual and ran perfect for 10 minutes until it died just as if I had hit the kill switch. No spark. Thanks to Skidoo Jason I got a tow back to the truck and he also offered for me to ride his spare sled for the day. (Thanks again Jason). So now to the testing...So far I've eliminated the kill switch, the DESS switch, and am in the process of testing the stator. (The manual refers to it as the ignition generator coil). I think i found the problem but it isn't making sense to me. When testing the wires at the plug to the MPEM from the coil I'm not getting any continuity from the two output wires of the stator and the ground has good continuity to the engine. There are three wires on the plug from the stator, black(ground), black/red, and red. The manual states you should have 11.6 - 21.6 ohms between the red and black/red output wires of the stator and I am getting an open lead, no continuity. I am also not getting voltage out of these two leads(<1 volt). I am not familiar with stators and don't know how they fail, but is it possible to have zero continuity on the output wires of the stator either to each other or to ground? I had always heard of stators shorting or grounding at failure but this case would prove that not to be true as there is no continuity to ground either. I'm pretty sure that the stator is the problem but was wondering if anyone knows of another way to test the stator? The manual doesn't state anything about testing the other plugs that come out of it and go to the voltage regulator. Any suggestions?

Like(s)
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

if you got zip ohms like the manual says,stator is toast.

Like(s)
    Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts

strap wrench to hold the flywheel.or mcgyver might ram a bar down there to hold it.LOL.

Like(s)
    Liked 60 Times in 46 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by moon View Post
    strap wrench to hold the flywheel.or mcgyver might ram a bar down there to hold it.LOL.
    True, but dont forget those breakable magnets that reside inside most. Careful jammin in the holes- Only thing worse than the cost of a stator is adding in the $ of a flywheel too.
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got a strap wrench to hold the flywheel. Looks like this will be tomorrows project. I will keep you guys posted on what I find.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone know anything about Caltric brand stators? They are less than half the price of OEM but I'm don't know anything about the quality. Any other brands I should look into?

Like(s)
    Liked 22 Times in 19 Posts

i pretty much own the same sled. i would buy a oem!

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I pulled out the stator this morning and it tests the same at the stator as it did at the plug so it must be the issue. Hopefully I dont regret it but I ordered a Caltric stator today for $140 vs $365 for OEM. Should be here this week.

Like(s)

Hang on to the stator - if there isn't a core charge ect. Folks buy them to rebuild FYI
    When the Sierra club told me to "be more green". I thought they meant to buy another Arctic Cat.

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Greengarage View Post
    Hang on to the stator - if there isn't a core charge ect. Folks buy them to rebuild FYI
    us doo owners dont have near the problem with stators then them cat owners. Lol

but i agree if its rebuildable. rebuild it and hang onto it. who knows. i might need it now that i made a joke towards GG.

Like(s)

[QUOTE=theregularguy;23844]
    us doo owners dont have near the problem with stators then them cat owners. Lol

I'd correct you if you weren't right ...come to think of it now!

Anybody got a ski doo stator that will fit a cat?

Like(s)

Dualmoto, rebuild that stator and shelve it for now- regguys gonna need that by 2nd ride next year.LOL

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hate to say it but I've got a Cat, a Polaris, and a Doo.... And out of the three the old school polaris is the bulletproof sled. Just my luck I guess. I also own a chevy and a ford. Lol

Like(s)

Dualmoto, rebuild that stator and shelve it for now- regguys gonna need that by 2nd ride next year.LOL
    hey hey hey. if he rebuilds it. i can buy it from him. i got a plan a brewin. Lol

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmoto View Post
    Hate to say it but I've got a Cat, a Polaris, and a Doo.... And out of the three the old school polaris is the bulletproof sled. Just my luck I guess. I also own a chevy and a ford. Lol
    that just means your not racist like the rest of us.

but ford? dude. dont be like wes on here. he cant take jokes like us doo riders. Lol

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Dualmoto View Post
    You "brand loyal" people are just too picky! LOL, ...it's nice to have a selection
    Last edited by Greengarage; 05-09-12 at 01:44 PM.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well I got the new stator in the mail today and the first thing I did was test the windings with the ohm meter... 16 ohms! Sweet! At this point I was pretty sure I had the problem solved but didn't know for sure until I started it. All in all the job really wasn't too bad. The impact wrench was an essential tool for removal which eliminates the problem of the motor spinning and the toughest part was getting the rubber grommet seated properly where the wires exit the case because it is tough to get at. It would have probably been easier if I would have pulled the carbs and airbox. Now I just need to go burn the full tank of fuel out of it this weekend and put it away for the season!

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

BTW, how many posts do I have to have before the "Rookie" goes away? (hate that) lol

Like(s)

Right on! 16 ohms never looked so good....rookie. J/k