Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thinkin about a new (used) truck. Need opinions

Like(s)
    Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyKen View Post
    I guess as far as gasoline engines go; (which I have) I've always had the habit of once you get near 100K miles; it's time to look for something else unless you like doing costly repairs. I'm good about the maintenence on my vehicles; but it's stuck in my head that 100K is the cutoff. In comparison; most of the diesle motors will go 200K with no real problems. Maybe thats a little exagurated; but 100K is where I start to worry. I did find a real clean F350 with a Triton V10; but it has 90K on it; so I won't even consider it. On the other hand; I'm looking at an 06' longbed Dodge Quadcab with the small Cummins 5.9 with only 60K on it seem like a nice truck as well. And I do agree that if I don't NEED a diesle; why pay over 4 bucks a gallon for fuel? (We all already do that with sleds)
    You can go 100K+. You are in the days of old... Rings, FI and everything else has come a long ways since the 60's & 70's. Its not a problem to see 200K+ on a gas engine anymore! Even the brand news ones I think will go further then before.

You also need to do a little research on the Dodge. I know they have lift pump problems and you need to be careful of that. They are known for taking out the Injector pump.... Then your looking @ $1500 for a Bosch Pump + Labor. Just a heads up. And the Dodge bodies dont hold up as well. I know a couple of guys out @ work that had these problems. Some of them more then once.... I have known people to have good luck with there 6.0's and have some miles on them! But like I have said, they all have there problems. I dont care if its Ford, Chevy or Dodge. JMHO
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Like(s)

Here are some good Forums that I'm on and very helpful.... They will tell you the good, bad and the ugly! LOL

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/

http://www.thedieselgarage.com/forums/index.php?

http://www.oilburners.net/forums/index.php
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Ken, you and I are oppistie. I won't pay for the depreciation of a vehicle with less than 100k miles on it. I stick to Toyotas and Hondas though. Toyota trucks and Honda cars, but I'd love a WRX. You really need to go drive an 07 or newer Tundra. They've been winning JD Power's most dependable fullsize truck every year since they came out with the new design. What's that tell you?

So Kilroy it blows my mind that you would buy a Chev Z71 after owning the greatest fullsize gas truck on the market, what's the story?
    Trevor

Fully addicted moto-junkie

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

purchased the wife the new 2011 Honda Crosstour. Couldn't afford both with all my toys. I bit the bullet so she could have a new rig. She was right when she consistently reminded me "you always get the nice new vehicles".

When her crosstour is paid off, YOU BET YOUR BRITCHES I'll be getting a used 2007 or newer Tundra. It was by far the best and most powerful truck I've owned. When I took it to Les Schwab for new tires and lift kit, they all commented on how this 1/2 ton truck has more beefy front end parts than most 3/4 ton trucks. I'll get the same options I had on my 2008 (TRD, Bluetooth, JBL upgrade, Sunroof, Nav, power seats, console, etc, - but I'll get the quad cab not the crew max. I need the longer bed for a camper and the crewmax is a bit too short for me. The kids are almost out of the house, so I don't need the extra room back there.

Smooth and powerful ride, that's for sure.
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

At this point it looks as though we're gonna just keep the Dodge. But I think we'll get rid of the STI as it will only run on Premium gas. I can make you a heck of a deal on the SooBee! #044 of only 800 made

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  373.6 KBName:  010.JPG
Views: 110
Size:  481.6 KB

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like(s)
    Liked 33 Times in 19 Posts

I'll be over tomorrow to take it for a "test drive". ; )

We had an '05 2.5XT turbo wagon, super fun car to drive.

Like(s)
    Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    I'll be over tomorrow to take it for a "test drive". ; )

We had an '05 2.5XT turbo wagon, super fun car to drive.
    That's another one I'd be interested in. I want the WRX wagon, but any turbo AWD Subaru wagon would be fine.
    Trevor

Fully addicted moto-junkie

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I'm hopefully putting a clutch in it this week. 305 HP; 6 speed tranny; The turbo winds up so quick it catches you by surprise that it's time to shift already! But I've had trouble remembering the front air dam is so low. It becomes a plow in just a couple of inches of snow. (That and parking chocks are deadly to the bodywork) I love the car; but it's just not very practical to drive in the winter time. (Or in McMinnimin's back lot if you are shortcutting from El Caporal after a couple Margeritas)

Like(s)
    Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts

Funny you mention costly repairs at 100k owning a subaru. Both my prior subarus both blew head gaskets just pass the 100k mark, alternators too. Had roommate that had done two headgaskets by 200k. My girlfriend has a 99, headgasket and then motor rebuild before 190k, ouch. All four of them were 99'+, 2.5L and 2.2L. And honestly my old 01 ranger 4x4 did better in the snow then they did, night and day better which is important to me.

IMO if you sled you need a 3/4 or 1 ton for towing or running a sled deck, so that rules Toyota's out plus there 1/2 ton gets the mileage of a chevy with a 6.0L in it. If I were in the half ton market it would be a chevy 1500 with a 5.3, they get pretty darn good mpg and look great. Not really a diesel guy, too many short trips around town, Just me though...

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by twostroke View Post
    Funny you mention costly repairs at 100k owning a subaru. Both my prior subarus both blew head gaskets just pass the 100k mark, alternators too. Had roommate that had done two headgaskets by 200k. My girlfriend has a 99, headgasket and then motor rebuild before 190k, ouch. All four of them were 99'+, 2.5L and 2.2L. And honestly my old 01 ranger 4x4 did better in the snow then they did, night and day better which is important to me.

IMO if you sled you need a 3/4 or 1 ton for towing or running a sled deck, so that rules Toyota's out plus there 1/2 ton gets the mileage of a chevy with a 6.0L in it. If I were in the half ton market it would be a chevy 1500 with a 5.3, they get pretty darn good mpg and look great. Not really a diesel guy, too many short trips around town, Just me though...
    In my experience, my Tundra pulls my enclosed with two sleds, gear, etc. like it isn't even there (uphill and downhill). Compared to the 6.0L, the Toyota 5.8L has it beat by 35 HP and 21 lb ft of torque. I had a 2011 Chevy 1500 4X4 rental for almost a month after I hit a deer last year. Nothing against Chevy or the 1500, but the 07 and newer Tundra is a superior tow rig in my opinion. Gas mileage is a different story. : ) The Ford EcoBoost is kind of an interesting development. However, my last Ford experience was one of those nightmares you hear about, so it is still too soon.

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I used to have Toyotas when they were only Mini trucks. The 22R motor would run forever. But.......when the economy was good we'ed trade in our trucks about every 2-4 years. Now that the country has gone to crap; we just trade up with used vehicles/cars instead of the newest thing. It's not the same world any more. When I say that 100K is where I start worrying; other than mechanically speaking; the resale value is nothing. I put about 150K on my 89 Toyota with no problems; but when I traded it in; it wasn't worth but about $3500 . But now; the thought of Toyota making grownup trucks and NASCARs is uncomfortable for me (just old school thinking) The Asian barrier was there for me also with the STI, but once you nail the throttle and the turbo kicks in; you get a big smile on your face! Import? I guess I don't care! This car accelerates as well as the 68' Roadrunner I used to have. (Both cars would do consistant 13.20s in the quarter)
    But back to the Tundra; I'm not crazy about the looks; and I haven't really taken a serious look at their specs; but you guys get my curiosity going.

Like(s)
    Liked 127 Times in 100 Posts

i love my silverado, drives like a car and tons of room. i have the extended cab and you can actually put full sized adults in the rear without thier knees poking you in the back through the seat. the quarter doors opening on both sides is awesome. 20 mpg on the freeway and the 5.3l has plenty of power for anything i haul anymore. plus its a TON easier and less expensive to work on compared to the tundra. the power sounds great on the toyota until something goes wrong and your spending big money to fix it. as a mechanic reliability is number one for me and you won't find a more reliable motor than the chevy. plus they are one awesome looking truck

Like(s)

I was at the local sled shop today. There was a Nissan GT-R parked outside. I didn't see the owner though.

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a neighbor that is a part time insructor at Button Willow. Anyway; he got a chance last year to try out a GT-R that a friend of his owns. He said it was AMAZING!

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

If I remember correctly, my Tundra was built in San Antonio with 80% american parts and 20% imported parts from Japan and Canada.

Ben, do you still have your window sticker to back me up on this?

Also, when I sold my 2006 Ram 1500 for 17K and purchased the 2008 Tundra Crew Max for 33K my insurance dropped in HALF with USAA insurance. I called them and asked why, and they told me it's not the cost of the truck that they have to pay to replace, it's bodily injury. The Tundra is made about 2 miles down the street from my insurance company in San Antonio, they have toured the factory, and know the Tundra's 5 Star safety rating with Dual front Airbags, Side curtain airbags, ABS, Traction Control, and Vechicle Stability Control. Was pretty wierd if you ask me! I guess the hospital bills are pretty expensive in a colision.
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

Like(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    If I remember correctly, my Tundra was built in San Antonio with 80% american parts and 20% imported parts from Japan and Canada.

Ben, do you still have your window sticker to back me up on this?
    You dont need a window sticker.... Its called Google! LOL

http://www.tundraheadquarters.com/bl...most-american/
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)

Interesting, that link says that the Tundra is now more "American" than any of the other pickups on the market.

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Wowsa, thanks Wes. That's what I was thinking, but wasn't sure. I was just amazed that I was saving so much on my insurance, and impressed that the truck was built in Texas.

Sucks that the profits go to Japan, but at least the Jobs are here and not in the hands of the Mexican drug cartels down there across the border.
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

Like(s)

Thats still a problem Pete. Most of the profits go overseas instead of here. Here are some more facts for you.

The F-Series pickup truck, that most iconic of domestic vehicles, is assembled in Kansas City, Missouri, and Dearborn, Michigan, but with just 55 percent of parts made in the U.S. or Canada. More than 15 percent of its parts come from Mexico, although all of its engines and both transmission systems are built in the U.S....
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast