2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Yeah, there's no way that I'd try putting in studs without pulling the cab. Whenever you're looking at doing any work and would like a hand let me know. I'm laid off all winter, so my schedule is completely open.. Lol

Like(s)
    Liked 50 Times in 46 Posts

You bet Diesel Dog! Thanks.... Sorry Ken. Did you see my Q's for you Ken?
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Ford428CJ View Post
    Here is a Q for you Ken and it may make up your mind too! Are you only going to tow with it all the time? Or is it 50/50 (tow/intown), 25/75? And how much weight? Be honest here with us....
    Oh ; It would be "almost" a daily driver. We have a Subaru STI that my wife drives unless the snow gets over an inch or so. We don't want to plow snow; so I take her sometimes during the winter. About 12,000 miles per year I'd say. Right now I have 2 sleds; 1000 lb trailer; 1300 lb side by side during summer; and want a cabover camper and enclosed trailer eventually. (For sleds; buggy; and Classic Mini Cooper)

Like(s)

To be honest with you Ken... A gas rig is all you need. Diesels are meant to be a workhorse. Loaded down most of the time. People make a mistake and buy a Diesel for a run around rig. Thats when they can develop problems. I really think a newer gas rig would be best suited for your needs and wants and you will be a very happy man! JMHO
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Enter: Toyota Tundra <------clicky
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

Like(s)

How about a V-6 with over 300HP & 420foot lbs and tow up to 11,300lbs! Out of a 1/2ton... It gets 23mpg on the Highway
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 18 Times in 15 Posts

Chilly, I've had all of the big three diesels and even an 04 topkick H.O. Duramax LBZ motor..... After reading all of the above, I also think you would be happy with a gas truck of any make BUT if you want to go diesel the the only one I'd even look twice at right now would be a dodge cummins, it's true that the crew cabs don't have much rear leg room and is more like an extra cab with rear doors but you could go to a mega cab but it's only available in older misled as a short bed which is a big trade off for putting a camper in AND towing with the funky hitch set ups. Too many friends have said they love their fords but when it comes down to it the 7.3's all road like bricks and EVERY friend I have that went 6.0 has had problems more so than any other I've seen. (just the facts) the duramax has good power, great sound and good interior layout but dollar to dollar the dodge has all the same and a bit more longevity. Also after mid 06 the transmission issue about weather a manual or auto became a non issue in Dodge- they both became about bullit proof late 06- I currently went to An older 04.5 dodge 6spd 5.9 H.O. And can say after just turning over 200,000 miles it's still the nicest and tightest truck I've ever had- even better than some brand new trucks I've gotten off the lots!
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"
    OSSA, Walker Rim Snowmobile club:Crescent lake

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I own and drive daily an '03 F350 Crewcab Long Box with a 7.3l diesel in it. As a diesel mechanic and Ford fan all my life, I shopped for 6+ months for this truck as I wanted the '03 7.3l for it's upgradability. It has a DP tuner, intake system, 5" exhaust system, many other small engine and drivetrain mods, leveling kit, etc. I get an average of 17 mpg with a mix of in town and highway driving. I pull a 30' toy hauler, the sleds, and a RZR-S, sometimes all at the same time. Mainly two sleds on a sled deck though.
    No matter what, you are going to get a plethora of different opinions. You will have to decide on what will make you happy in the long run.
    I have always said and will say again...... If you take a Ford Superduty, with a Cummins engine, and an Allison transmission, you would never buy another truck. Good luck finding that combo though.

Like(s)
    Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts

While gas is probably your best choice I will give my input on the Powerstroke or Cummins engine. I have the 6.0L Powerstroke and it is powerful and does everything my work needs it to do but it is very loud and clanky. You also have to wait till the glowplugs warm up to start and doesn't get near as good of fuel economy as my cummins, average around 14 but haul trailer and debris all day everyday.
    My cummins is quiet, gets great fuel millage, as good as 32 once. I would say I average 18 in town and 24-26 when my foot is out of it on the freeway. 14 hauling my toyhauler with quads in it. It starts at the turn of the key and smokes less than the powerstroker.
    All in all I am happy with both but would buy the cummins over the powerstroke if I were to buy another and had a choice of both. As for the duramax? Never had one but I hear good things about them. JMHO good luck shopping.
    craterlandscape.com

Like(s)

Like I said Ken... I wouldn't waste your time and hard earn money with a Diesel for what your wanting to do! Go with a gas rig. JMHO
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by zookiracer View Post
    Chilly, I've had all of the big three diesels and even an 04 topkick H.O. Duramax LBZ motor..... After reading all of the above, I also think you would be happy with a gas truck of any make BUT if you want to go diesel the the only one I'd even look twice at right now would be a dodge cummins, it's true that the crew cabs don't have much rear leg room and is more like an extra cab with rear doors but you could go to a mega cab but it's only available in older misled as a short bed which is a big trade off for putting a camper in AND towing with the funky hitch set ups. Too many friends have said they love their fords but when it comes down to it the 7.3's all road like bricks and EVERY friend I have that went 6.0 has had problems more so than any other I've seen. (just the facts) the duramax has good power, great sound and good interior layout but dollar to dollar the dodge has all the same and a bit more longevity. Also after mid 06 the transmission issue about weather a manual or auto became a non issue in Dodge- they both became about bullit proof late 06- I currently went to An older 04.5 dodge 6spd 5.9 H.O. And can say after just turning over 200,000 miles it's still the nicest and tightest truck I've ever had- even better than some brand new trucks I've gotten off the lots!
    Well written Zook!
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

Like(s)

Oddly enough Tedd, at work after someone wanted our F550 work truck more than we did (stole right out of our parking lot) we bought another heavy hauler for our equipment- it's a ford crewcab with a flip over front hood like topkicks and a Ford badged Cummins motor linked to a Allison riding on semi rims/tires..... Every time the guy who drives it goes to fill up he ends up talking to a few guys about it- then
    We went and put differend governor springs in and a hotter fuel plate but it didn't seem to do anything powerwise so we had the pump rebuilt, NOW it's a different story and absolutely no slowing down up the passes regardless of what your dragging, I'll try to get some pics on here- and I didn't believe it either when I read the Ford/cummins motor tag
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I guess as far as gasoline engines go; (which I have) I've always had the habit of once you get near 100K miles; it's time to look for something else unless you like doing costly repairs. I'm good about the maintenence on my vehicles; but it's stuck in my head that 100K is the cutoff. In comparison; most of the diesle motors will go 200K with no real problems. Maybe thats a little exagurated; but 100K is where I start to worry. I did find a real clean F350 with a Triton V10; but it has 90K on it; so I won't even consider it. On the other hand; I'm looking at an 06' longbed Dodge Quadcab with the small Cummins 5.9 with only 60K on it seem like a nice truck as well. And I do agree that if I don't NEED a diesle; why pay over 4 bucks a gallon for fuel? (We all already do that with sleds)

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

just remember diesel means double when its time to get anything done to it!!! from oil changes on up. almost everytime one of my diesel customers needs something done they cry like a little girl about the cost.

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by zookiracer View Post
    Oddly enough Tedd, at work after someone wanted our F550 work truck more than we did (stole right out of our parking lot) we bought another heavy hauler for our equipment- it's a ford crewcab with a flip over front hood like topkicks and a Ford badged Cummins motor linked to a Allison riding on semi rims/tires..... Every time the guy who drives it goes to fill up he ends up talking to a few guys about it- then
    We went and put differend governor springs in and a hotter fuel plate but it didn't seem to do anything powerwise so we had the pump rebuilt, NOW it's a different story and absolutely no slowing down up the passes regardless of what your dragging, I'll try to get some pics on here- and I didn't believe it either when I read the Ford/cummins motor tag

Zook,
    What you have there is not an oddity at all. Ford has been doing this for years. Once you get into the F550 and above, you have had your choice of Cat, Cummins, or Ford power.

Quote Originally Posted by ChillyKen View Post
    most of the diesle motors will go 200K with no real problems. Maybe thats a little exagurated
    I personally know of 3 F350's with 7.3 Powerstrokes in them that have well over 200k on them with no real issues outside of normal wear and tear items being replaced. One of which is pushing the 550k mark. I also know of a few Cummins with the same types of mileages and the same level of repair and maintenance done to them.
    Yes, the fuel (although absolutely ridiculous) is more expensive and the normal maintenance is more expensive, they last longer and hold there value longer.

No, I am not trying to talk you into a diesel. Just giving you a little more food for thought.

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Lots of good advice and something to really consider. My truck; an 06' Dodge 1500 QC; only has 72K on it. And for now; it pulls what I need it to pull. It'll be paid off in a little over a year. Not much chance of being able to carry a cabover camper, but I may decide to reconsider and hang on to it. Thanks for the opinions guys!

Like(s)

Keep us posted Chilli! And when I posted that in reality you don't "need" a diesel I was in no way saying don't get one. I've got a little saying that goes something like "it's my life, I don't need to justify it!"

Pretty much saying get what you want and knowing what I know I choose the cummins, BUT it annoys me to know I pay that much for fuel when it just isn't justified to charge that much for
    It- also I run full synthetic oil and will go 15,000 miles between oil changes- but when I buy oil it's spendy because your basically buying a 5 gal bucket of oil.

I've got a deal for you I havn't heard anyone else offer yet- don't buy any truck this year, you can use mine- you just have to buy all the fuel and take
    Me sledding every weekend!
    Polaris Pro 162" boosted
    Polaris Pro 155"

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shweeeeet Zook! Thanks for the offer!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast