Thread: Powder Jack?

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Default Powder Jack?

Do any of you guys use a Powderjack or HighJacker when out in the Boonies? I'm wondering if when mounted on your board; does it get in the way? I know usually yer gonna have someone with you to help lift a stuck sled out; but there must be times when your out of the way; stuck on yer own. Sounds like it would be a great back saver.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have never felt the need for one, and have never seen one on a sled. I have watched the videos and even though it's a pretty clever design, I wouldn't want one on my sled.
    You should always be with someone and then getting stuck usually isn't any big deal.

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

I have thought about it, but you would have to mount it on the side of the tunnel. I have enough problems keeping my feet on the running boards. I don't think I need anything round to interfere with my boots making traction. Falling off is sooooo graceful!

Like(s)
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Like(s)
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

ask Eludnu he has one and loves it.
    11 Pro 800 155
    03 Summit 550 fan
    08/10 Dragon 800 155 FOR SALE
    01 RMK 550 fan

crosscreekgc.com

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
    well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
    worn out, and loudly proclaiming
    WOW----WHAT----A RIDE!!!

Like(s)
    Liked 120 Times in 97 Posts

theres a guy in lapine that sells one that comes apart like tent poles and will fit in a tunnel bag

Like(s)
    Liked 129 Times in 102 Posts

moon, you wouldn't happen to know how to get ahold of him would you? have never had any interest in one of these before, but with the nasty seperated shoulder, may make it so i can keep riding in the places i've come accustomed. especially on those deep days i live to ride. have ridden with guys who have them mounted on the tunnel and it looks like a pain. one that breaks down and fits in a bag seems more doable for me. i guess when your old and broken you gotta do what it takes to keep the track spinning

Like(s)
    Liked 63 Times in 53 Posts

Or if you're old and don't want to be broken!

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I find that a SnowBunjie works fantastic for helping get unstuck. A powder jack will help you get up ontop of the snow more but it does noting for your forward momentum. SnowBunjie's are fantastic and easy to use + they get you farther away from the ski's when pulling out a stuck sled and you don't bend over as much.
    '08 M1000 153 A work in progress
    Tracker 2 Beacon, Dakine Probe, Voile Shovel, BCA Float 30

The more we sweat in practice the less we bleed in battle.

Like(s)
    Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bowerman61028 View Post
    I find that a SnowBunjie works fantastic for helping get unstuck. A powder jack will help you get up ontop of the snow more but it does noting for your forward momentum. SnowBunjie's are fantastic and easy to use + they get you farther away from the ski's when pulling out a stuck sled and you don't bend over as much.
    I agree. I used to always have one. Great for when you go out with the family. Of course kids make good traction too.
    11 Pro 800 155
    03 Summit 550 fan
    08/10 Dragon 800 155 FOR SALE
    01 RMK 550 fan

crosscreekgc.com

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and
    well preserved body, But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally
    worn out, and loudly proclaiming
    WOW----WHAT----A RIDE!!!

Like(s)
    Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bowerman61028 View Post
    I'm thinking that there's a "rattler" in my future, as my mother-in-law was asking about stocking stuffers! This is good news yes?
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My SnowBungie hangs on my peg board in my shop. It's a good tool. but over the years I find that in most cases we have each other out of the trench before a guy can get his SnowBungie out of the bag. They do have some advantages, but a good buddy pulling on a ski works 90% of time just fine.
    So you either need a SnowBungie or better riding buddies. LOL

Like(s)
    Liked 120 Times in 97 Posts

ill try and find the number sandman.ill pm you if i do.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have the powder jack on one of my sleds and found it greatly improves my confidence in dropping in first to sections I may other wise consider with much reservation. I would never consider riding alone, but in our normal group of 3, there have been many times when we are 100's of yards apart, in deep pow, and well stuck. At the end of the day, it can mean the difference between being too worn out to ride, and wasting energy lifting and digging, VS. being out of a really tight situation in a matter of minutes, solo, with very little expended effort.

It also came in VERY handy years ago on a 2 person ride where we would have had to come back with more help to extract my buddies upside down sled from a deep tree hole.

That said I didn't ride with it last year, but there was a night almost spent in the boonies of Revelstoke were I would have killed to have it. And Master would have too as I recall.