Thread: Towing and Trailering

Default Towing and Trailering

Use this forum to discuss trailering or towing in general. Ask specific questions. Show off your tow rig or trailer (make sure and add them to the garage as well).

I'm considering turning my ATV/UTV trailer into a 3 place trailer for snowmobiles, and I'm wondering if you could give me some helpful criticism. Here's the plans I've drawn up. The outside circumfrence of the stock trailer is raised and angeled as shown. The demensions are of the raised areas.
    Does it look like it would work as far as the demensions are concerned?

I do think it is a possibility. ALTHOUGH, my first concern would be the GAWR as well as the load rating of the tires, wheels, and springs. It looks to be a fairly light weight trailer that may not be able to handle the roughly 1800 lb payload that you are wanting to carry. Not to mention the additional weight of the added fabrication to modify the trailer that adds to the overall unloaded weight which subtracts from available payload.

Well; here's what I was thinking. I would regularly carry my Side by Side ( 1700 lbs) and my Honda Rincon 650 ATV (600 lbs) according to the trailer manufacturer's recommendations. I was also a bit concerned on the weight; but they assured me that it was built for a 2500 lb. capacity. The big drawback was the single axle and no brakes. But it towed smoothly and I could hardly feel it behind my truck.
    On the demensions; the specs for Polaris and SkiDoo give an "overall" length and width; so for the front sideways place on the trailer; I tried to allow for overhang of the fronts of the skis and the back of the track intead of the rear flap which saved me about a foot. That brings me to another concern. Legally speaking; what is the acceptable maximum width for a trailer or cargo?
    I'm only considering this if I sell my Side by Side and they don't want the trailer.

Ouch; well, I guess I'll need a trailer pretty soon too. Really; my interest in doing this was an ad I saw for (2) 06' Yamaha Scandic Tundra's for $5800. I want a performance powder sled, but those would be good for my wife and daughter.....so the gears in my head were turning.............
    Thanks for the info Tedd. I appreciate it. I wasn't sure of the demensions of a snowmobile trailer PER vehicle. It seems that 48 inch width per sled is most common?

I would like to replace my safety chains for a 2 place trailer what strength should they be???

Default Kilroys .02 worth!

Joel, chains are just for show (eyewash) in my humble opinion. Use whatever you feel comfortable purchasing and installing. If my truck/trailer were ever in a crash, I'd rather not have it back there attached to the truck still as there will likely be mass carnage and things will be coming off violently anyway...

Whatever type/size you get, my advice would be to consider making the end that attaches to your truck a closed bail type attachment to appease the state of California (if you ride down there). They have a law about that style being required.

in a nutshell, I feel the only conceivable reason to have chains on your trailer it's to save it from coming completely off and crashing into another car if you were a dummy and forgot to latch the tongue (or the latch were to fail) while driving down the road. Pay attention to never do that and you can have peace of mind while driving down the road (yet hundreds of people forget each year in America and their trailer comes unhooked). A good practice to avoid latch failure could be to lock it to the truck if you want.

Don't over think it! Just get some good nickel plated or galvanized chain sections to be legal, and the "towing police" will never pull you over and cite you while you are traveling. (btw, they don't exist! )

Hope this helps...
    '13 800 PRO RMK 163

"Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment." ~ Will Rogers

I would make my ramps out of aluminum. A ride on and off is even better yet! JMHO
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

Actually my trailer popped off after driving 300 miles and I was doing 45 mph. That's why I wanted to replace them? And yes it was on and locked now to check I jump on the back of the trailer.

No damage to my vehicle just a little scary

Im looking to buy new vehicle. I only tow a 2 place trailer with sleds roughly 1800 #s
    Some 4 cylinders have tow rating at 2500 with turbo's.
    I was just wondering what type of vehicle and gas mileage people were getting with crossovers or SUVs
    Would love some feedback Thanks

We use to have a 96 Tahoe years ago. 1st Gen Vortec. It got 18mpg empty on the highway. It had plunty of poop towing too. As for a little 4 banger... I dont know. The new Ford Ecoboost V6 does awesome on power and fuel milage! Something to think about.
    Wes Adams
    Mr.Triple
    Gotta have a Triple in the crowd!
    2000 Yamaha 700 Mountain Max
    2000 Polaris 1200 Triple Mod Sled
    2001 Polaris 600 Edge X
    2001 Polaris 500 SP
    ***2005 RMK Mod Sled, Triple, Homemade Tunnel***

http://www.hillsideauto.org/

www.facebook.com/HillsideAuto1

http://www.amsoil.com/index.aspx?zo=1987784

I was looking at the Ford Edge. Right now i have a Ranger 4.0 SOHC When towing 2 snowmobiles i get 12MPG

I'm planning on buying a subaru outback 4 cyl. can tow up to 2700 pds. My uncle bought 1 and likes it and it tows pretty good with a little over 2ooo pds

Well i'll find out for sure this winter because I just bought a 2013 Subaru outback 2.5i H4