Thread: Review: Sled Solutions E-Series Tunnel Bag

Like(s)
    Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Default Review: Sled Solutions E-Series Tunnel Bag

I previously used a manufacturer produced tunnel bag, which had a great bag/sled interface and was fairly roomy. However, it did not have a lot of extra features, and the ones it did were intended to work solely with products from the same manufacturer. The main annoyance was the shovel “pocket” that looked like it was made for a kids sandbox shovel.

I happened across the e-series tunnel bags from Sled Solutions (www.sledsolutions.com) and they looked sweet. They have a number of dividers and straps inside the bag, a large shovel pocket and strap and a dedicated shovel shaft pocket on the side. Additionally, they looked like they were pretty bulletproof and had some body to them so they wouldn’t collapse if they weren’t stuffed full. I ordered one up.

There are two different sizes (Max and Mini). I ordered the smaller size and was a little nervous that it wouldn’t be big enough. However, I personally like to err on the side of a little smaller than bigger where tunnel bags are concerned. What showed up was AWESOME! The bag looked exactly like it did online and every feature was well thought out and worked well. The shovel and shaft pockets fit my Voile shovel just right and are the best designed that I have seen. While it is crucial to have your shovel on your person if there is any slide potential at all, sometimes it is nice to keep it on your sled if you are going out for a trail ride to a lodge, etc. The best part about the shovel storage is that it does not interfere with the bag opening or operation in any way. Overall, the bag size is just right for my needs and was about the same size as my previous bag, but with a more efficient design. The min measures 12Wx12Lx7H and holds 950 cu. in. of gear. The max steps it up to 12Wx16Lx7H and holds a giant 1200 cu. in. of gear.

You can tell this bag was built by serious sledders, as the design and feature set are well thought out. There are plenty of internal pockets, dividers and straps to keep your bag organized and prevent things from bouncing around. The zippers are waterproof and buttery smooth. As advertised, the sides are slightly stiff so that it keeps its shape and does not flop around. The bag does not leak, even in heavy snow, and is designed to be 99% waterproof.

The e-series bags attach to your tunnel via 4 straps that run through included flip-up fasteners that you rivet to the sides of your tunnel. I chose to modify the fastening system to better fit my application and utilize a couple of the existing fasteners. I am not sure if they would recommend doing it this way, but so far so good. The bag can be oriented in either direction so that it fits your sled perfectly. Since it sits on top of the tunnel cooler in most cases they have included some insulation in the bottom to keep the bag contents from heating up. It also has four feet on the bottom that stand it off the tunnel a little and help keep it from getting abraded from making full contact with the tunnel.

I have had the bag with me on every ride since January and it has not let me down once. If you are looking for a new tunnel bag, I would highly recommend the e-series tunnel bags from Sled Solutions at http://www.sledsolutions.com
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Nice bag, but when I see bags with the shovel blade attached to the sled I get a little concerned.
    I think it is responsible to ride with a beacon, shovel and probe at all times. If you shovel is attached to your sled it separates a potentially lifesaving device from your immediate reach. This is just my personal opinion but I always want my shovel and probe attached to my backpack not just my sled.
    '08 M1000 153 A work in progress
    Tracker 2 Beacon, Dakine Probe, Voile Shovel, BCA Float 30

The more we sweat in practice the less we bleed in battle.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not to mention if your sled goes rear end down into a tree well, how are you going to dig yourself out? We both ride with all survival gear on our backs; from shovel to fire starter, no chances....but BEN so glad to see a whistle as a part of your gear in that sweet bag. I was out on a search for an 86 year old snowshoer out of Wanoga last night, his whistle SAVED his life! What a great sound to blow our whistles and get one in return!!

Like(s)
    Liked 16 Times in 14 Posts

I love to look of it Ben, If my Yami's didn't have rear exhaust I'd like to do something like that. Also while I agree and I do have my stuff on my back I also like to be highly active when I ride and want the least amount of stuff on me as possible. I feel if your all worn out your not going to be much good helping someone anyways. Also I have a shovel jammed in the rear of my Phazer AND one in my pack so when I'm on the Phazer I've got two and when I stuck it's easier to grab the one off the Phazer, not the one on my back.

I hear that a lot about not putting your shovel on your sled.....I've been riding a long time and no one ever used to carry shovels at all, If an accident happens I'm normally on my sled getting as close to someone as possible before I get off and go help, so I grab the shovel then, If I'm getting myself out I'm already at my shovel so I just see it as a non-issue in real world events I've been in.

Like(s)
    Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts

Again: "While it is crucial to have your shovel on your person if there is any slide potential at all, sometimes it is nice to keep it on your sled."

Is it best to have your shovel on you, absolutely. Is it practical to do this 100% of the time, maybe. I would much rather have someone with a shovel on their sled than no shovel at all. There are people that will not wear packs. Right or wrong, that is just how it is. We can continue to educate, but it may take baby steps.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by ben View Post
    Again: "While it is crucial to have your shovel on your person if there is any slide potential at all, sometimes it is nice to keep it on your sled."

Is it best to have your shovel on you, absolutely. Is it practical to do this 100% of the time, maybe. I would much rather have someone with a shovel on their sled than no shovel at all. There are people that will not wear packs. Right or wrong, that is just how it is. We can continue to educate, but it may take baby steps.
    x2!!

I still blows my mind how many people I see ride with no extra gear at all. No pack, noting on their sled, and nothing in their pockets. They don't even bring water!
    '08 M1000 153 A work in progress
    Tracker 2 Beacon, Dakine Probe, Voile Shovel, BCA Float 30

The more we sweat in practice the less we bleed in battle.

Like(s)
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Ben, great write up!!

I designed this bag for the Midwest rider primarily but have had huge success in the western states. We do not recommend that this be your only shovel while in the mountains. ALWAYS CARRY A SHOVEL ON YOUR PERSON when riding.

We do have these shovels in stock so anyone interested can get one pretty quick.