PDA

View Full Version : Identity crisis

Greengarage
09-20-12, 01:28 PM
4463Need a little help identifing this.... I found it goin over the second sled pre-season. It had worked its way into the rubber boot that passes the L side tie rod thru. It appears to be some sort of a breather plug, I cant for the life of me imagine where(on this sled) it could have came from. Ive owned this machine for a long time...but not the orig. owner. I can't believe I could have overlooked it year after year. Im thinking it flew accross someone elses shop previously and landed in the belly pan rattling around until it "presented" itself this year!!
It is 1 3/8" in diameter and about 3/4" deep
The sled it was found in is a '91 EXT ElTigre44644465

moon
09-20-12, 07:51 PM
a drain plug that leaks.i dont know:D

moon
09-20-12, 08:13 PM
old truck hood adjuster thats missing the rubber:)

moon
09-20-12, 08:26 PM
last guess.vented filler plug for a old tractor.LOL

Greengarage
09-20-12, 08:33 PM
By the time stamps on your posts I can tell your really putting the time in & thinking 'bout this. LOL - your last post is prolly closest.

BCDan
09-21-12, 05:39 AM
There is a similarly shaped part that goes into the primary to cover the bolt that holds the clutch on my 550... that's my guess.

master
09-21-12, 08:20 AM
chain case? if it doesn't run prob crankcase drain plug.

Greengarage
09-21-12, 10:02 AM
.....and the winner is BC Dan!!! Thanks alot, it was bothering me a bit - although I was nearly certain it didn't belong to the machine (I'd been over it w/ a fine tooth comb, twice!)...Wow. Two more questions since you knew, Dan. Why was this needed . Should I bother to put it back on, isn't this just 58 grams unneeded rotational mass? will be using a bit of loc-tite blue if it does need to go back on. Hey...Thanks again for your wisdom. LOVE THESE FORUMS. 4466

moon
09-21-12, 10:10 AM
i was close.LOL.:)

BCDan
09-21-12, 06:18 PM
Because the cat bolt isn't normal (what parts on a cat are??) the cover keeps debris out of the hole and makes it so that you can get the socket on the bolt. Rotating mass at that weight and that close to the center of rotation doesn't really affect performance in any noticeable way. I'd put it on. JMHO

Greengarage
09-21-12, 06:47 PM
Because the cat bolt isn't normal (what parts on a cat are??) the cover keeps debris out of the hole and makes it so that you can get the socket on the bolt. Rotating mass at that weight and that close to the center of rotation doesn't really affect performance in any noticeable way. I'd put it on. JMHO

Thanks, I'll put it back on then.

zookiracer
09-21-12, 07:19 PM
Uh, your worried about rotating mass and performance on a 91 El Tigre??? Your pretty hard core then Greenie!

Greengarage
09-21-12, 09:25 PM
Uh, your worried about rotating mass and performance on a 91 El Tigre??? Your pretty hard core then Greenie!

Not worried at all....wifes sled anyway. If it's not needed no sense. I just like to use big words and play w/ my gram scale :)

....but I AM hardcore LOL