PDA

View Full Version : Scraping the Engine Case halves of RTV!

Ford428CJ
02-14-10, 12:39 PM
I found a great product that works well for this! Its a Red Devil paint scrapper that you can get from any Hardware store. It works great on the engine case halves. Cleans out the RTV with out scraping/ scratching up the aluminum with it!

The cool thing is, its double bladed. So when one side gets messed up, its a turn of the screw and revers it! Also you can buy replacement blades too... Just make sure when you are using it to pull toward you and "NOT" away from you. Also dont apply any force to the head of the scraper. Works very well with one hand on the handle. Hope this helps someone out!

Heres a link:

http://www.reddevil.com/productDetail.cfm?id=3110RT&c=wp&cat=9

Movin
02-14-10, 05:34 PM
Bring it down to the shop and I'll show you how thats done! :)
Your scraper is one of many that works great, we use those to keep the machine cleaner. For the do it your selfer spraying the case down with a good soap, ZEP orange or equivalent then using a hot car wash wand works great. The idea is to get the case halves chemically bond-able for assembly and of course no debris. Carburetor and choke cleaner can be used just prior to assembly to insure no finger prints are present for assembly. Motoseal, Honda bond or the like works. Not RTV. Their are many things it would be good for one to know and someone like superdave can perform these steps correctly. I know you have done your homework but others reading this may think it "bing bam boom"!! ;)
Don't leave out the pictures!! :D

Ford428CJ
02-14-10, 06:55 PM
I was dumbing it down a little LOL. You could use it on a car intake/ heads or other stuff (the scraper) was my point here. This is more for the DIY kind of guy without the fancy shop or access to one, so to speak. Poke, poke....:D

Your right... You don't want to use RTV to assemble it. Make sure its very clean before assembly. I use Three Bonds 1194. Its a semi-drying liquid gasket. GRATE stuff! I'll get technical when I assemble my modded triple I got. By the book. :D

Here is a picture of it.

Movin
02-14-10, 07:23 PM
[QUOTE=Ford428CJ;7456]I was dumbing it down a little LOL. You could use it on a car intake/ heads or other stuff (the scraper) was my point here. This is more for the DIY kind of guy without the fancy shop or access to one, so to speak. Poke, poke....:D

Not doubting you at all, I have seen some of your prior builds with pics, some of the best I have seen anywhere! I DO have DIY'S bring in the carnage of "attempts" and I am sure the pro snowmobile techs see plenty as well. Not meaning to discourage DIY projects at all but to encourage them and to seek proper knowledge of the subject like you have. It is rewarding and fun. Just don't use the home dishwasher for parts washing no matter how good the idea seems!! LOL !!

Ford428CJ
02-14-10, 08:48 PM
Just busting your ballz Movin...LOL No harm, no foul (poke poke) I haven't seen ya in a while (last season)! I might have to drop on by your shop one of these days after work and check out your dishwasher! LOL Take care

J-Rad
02-16-10, 10:13 PM
those little like 3" 3M pads work great with a little 90 degree air grinder...you can get them in different coarsnesses ( i dont think that is a work at all..but you get me)...

and for the record.. hondabond is awesome.. when I had my shop.. i used it all the time.. and not just on hondas... a few toyotas, some mitsubushis, couple of subarus, and a whole metric crap ton of NISSANS...

Ford428CJ
02-17-10, 04:55 PM
those little like 3" 3M pads work great with a little 90 degree air grinder...you can get them in different coarsnesses ( i dont think that is a work at all..but you get me)...

and for the record.. hondabond is awesome.. when I had my shop.. i used it all the time.. and not just on hondas... a few toyotas, some mitsubushis, couple of subarus, and a whole metric crap ton of NISSANS...

Lot of good products out there! Just get a product that is used for those intention, should be just fine.

3M roloc pads work good. Just a little warning for those that haven't used them. You have to be careful with the aluminum matting surfaces. If your not careful, you can remove material off the case! Not a good thing....:eek:
Make sure that you get the Blue Pads.:) Those work best on Aluminum. The others are too course.
JMHO

Link to 3M Roloc pads 3":
http://www.levineautoparts.com/3mrosucodibl.html

2" pads:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRM-7515

Movin
02-17-10, 08:13 PM
awe come on..a little material off the case keeps the bearings tight! :D